Thread: Throttle cable

Default Throttle cable

Hello. Can someone get me some good pictures of how the throttle cable attaches to the gas pedal? I just pick one up and need to know how it fits to the pedal. Jon, I know you have one installed, and may have had pics at one time but I can't find them. Thanks.

I found 3 images from my hand throttle that show...maybe...what you need. The actual mount at the pedal is a rod that is adjustable that snaps on a ball sticking out of a bellcrank above the pedal. This bellcrank has that linkage from the pedal on the bottom rear, and a cable from the carb on the upper front. This is the throttle cable where is comes through the firewall into the cab.
    Mine also has a bowden cable on the bellcrank, front upper side, attached to the same retaining pin that the throttle cable hooks to. This is the cable that attaches to my hand throttle knob on the dash
    (I hope I am making sense)

Pic 1:

You can see the rod coming up from the gas pedal clipped on the little ball...blurry stuff in the foreground. In the lower left is a phillips screw. Above that and slightly to the right is the throttle cable, and clip, coming into the cab. You can see it is on a pin that is running through the rear of the bellcrank.
    On the extreme left end of that pin, you can see the bowden cable, from the dash manual throttle lever, mounted and a phillips screw there with its head pointing toward the floor.

Pic 2:

Clearer pic, little different angle...the nut on the throttle shaft from the gas pedal should be tightened up to the mount at the top as a jam nut...before someone else mentions it.

Pic 3:

This is taken from the trans tunnel side...you can see head of the mounting pin and the throttle cable pretty much dead center in the image.

I hope that helps...let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, Jon. So basicly I just need a longer pin to attach the hand throttle cable to? I had all the other stuff and forget to put in my first post that I picked up a hand throttle, for "cruise control".

Sounds like it...the longer pin with the throttle on the right and then a retaining pin right after that to keep the pin from moving toward the center of the truck...then the bowden cable for the hand throttle on the far left.

One note if you use it for cruse control...guess how I came up with this...

If you are going a long distance and you have the speed set with the hand throttle, you might forget thatyou have to reach down and turn it off manually if something happens on road and you need to slow down...like say a sudden wreck in front of you...

I forgot...in the heat of the moment, I hit the brake and dropped the clutch...and the RPM's went through the roof...so I had to let off the clutch, release the manual throttle WHILE standing on the brake pedal, then start slowing down good.

It got my attention...I had driven for almost 2 hours on the highway at 50 MPH roughly without having to slow down at all...I completely forgot about it.

One other note...I found that if I want to do roughly 50, that setting it at 47 or so on flat ground worked best...its a touch slower but when one goes down hill, it wont speed up so much that you have to monkey with the hand throttle every time...big hills are different of course...but the little stuff, this a good way to go. On uphills, step into it as much as you like...it wont hurt a thing.

I cant get i the cab to measure that pin...if I could I would...sorry...

Bryant,
    Here is how Joseph and I did ours this summer. Not sure if the pictures are any better, but here are more. Also, think of something flexible to make the hand throttle connection with.

A Tale of Two Hand Throttles
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw