Thread: whats wrong with a m 715

Default whats wrong with a m 715

Is some of the bad stuff people say about the 715 true what are the 715s notorious for is the dana 60 in front really crap can it be upgraded to disk brakes or is to old and odd ball i dont want to change mine any futher or is it going to be a pain to do the maintance all the time
    I Hate Typing

Drive till some thing breaks. Then fix or replace it. These trucks are around 40 years old, been driven by military personnel, fire, civil crews. There are still a lot of stock trucks driving around. I would have to say they are built pretty well. I would be amazed to see a more modern truck last this long.

The M715 doesn't have any real problems except maybe the water pump....if you use the truck for what it was designed and intended for. It was not made to be a highway cruiser. It was made for off road and that it does in stock form very well. These trucks can be upgraded and modified just search through this site and you'll find page after page of motor replacements, upgrades to axles etc. But the stock M715 IMHO is going to worth more money in the next 20 years than the modified one. There are parts available for the truck you just need to know where to look and this site gives you a helping hand with that.
    Zone holster maker

Ain't nothing wrong with them per say. Just maybe a little eccentric in some ways. I'm not saying it's bullet proof but it's really cool and can be made reliable and dependable pretty easy.

I would suggest that one could simply state that the only thing wrong with a M715 is that it is a 40 year old truck.

What makes the truck's "problems" so well highlighted is the fact that many folks are attempting to make an old truck drive like a newer one. Automotive technology, and the moderate costs for such technology, is greatly more advanced today, or in the 90's and even 80's, than it was during the mid 60's.

Just remember that it is an old truck.

Also, keep in mind that in the 60s, trucks were actually used as trucks. People were more concerned about what the truck could haul more than ride quality and heated leather seats.

All vehicles have flaws. The 715 is a strong platform, it just needs more power. It also has weakness, just ike any other truck. I managed to destroy my rear R&P and T.Case all at once. Some folks would call it a failure, or weakness....I called it a strong 406 with a moron at the controls

Nothing
    "An axe. A real axe. An 'I'm out of ammo, let me grab the axe', type of axe!" steelsoldier FrankUSMC

Nothing x2

I've had many many rigs and I think this is quite possibly the truest form of "truck" that exists.

In purely stock form you have to drive it off a cliff to break it. Damage generally occurs because of operator stupidity or grossly changing specific vehicular attributes without changing all of them.

Yah, I'm a hypocrite. I break a lot of .
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

well i have taken my 715 to the top of a mountain and back down with no breakage so i could not belive poeple talken trash i have a 402 bbc and was hard on the 715 not one proplem how did dude blow his t-case and rearend how do i know what is military and what is not i know the 402 is not military
    I Hate Typing

Quote Originally Posted by jaychevy420pitbill View Post
    ...how do i know what is military and what is not...
    Take some time and read through the manuals, as they would be very helpful for such a situation. There are many photographs to assist you in your endeavor.