Thread: Video: 12v Old Style Turn Signal Box

Default Video: 12v Old Style Turn Signal Box

The video below shows the old style 24v turn signal distribution box operating on 12volts.

The conversion was done by replacing 24v components with 12v devices. Total cost for the components is less than $50 for four relays, two resistors, one three wire flasher, four screws, many wires with thirty five connections.

This was not a simple process as it proved to be very challenging and is not recommended for those who can afford to spend the $150. for the later style solid state unit.

This was done for Todd (fisherman) whose truck is completely rewired for 12v but has the old style box which expects to see 24v. I decided to try this to see if it could be done and if so, prevent him from rewiring for another style turn signal.

Slower speed Internet connections may have to play this twice to see the video without pauses for loading delays.

Kind of boring video but it works.

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?i...istbox5wh0.flv

Thanks to wrecker and gimpyrobb for sending their spare distribution boxes. I used parts from both.

Very nice!!!!

Can you post a list of the stuff/article on what you did?

Is this something that requires stuff that is hard to find? I doubt it but ask...

Does the space inside the distribution box get crowded, really crowded, downright stuffed, or is it ample for this use?

Nice work Amphi...I would never have figured this out!

Yes! I'll post a list of the stuff with photos later tonight.

Easy to get parts from NAPA and Radio Shack.

Yes the box is stuffed but I got everything in there, very secure for vibration and a heat sink for the resistors.

Very very challenging but it was fun.

I am glad members like you and rboltz find the electrical stuff fun!

Wow Gary. I can't wait to see it work. I'll definately owe you something. Need any Jeep Parts? I'll keep in touch. Planning on heading your direction in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Wow Gary. I can't wait to see it work. I'll definately owe you something. Need any Jeep Parts? I'll keep in touch. Planning on heading your direction in a couple weeks.
    I could use the PTO winch U-joint yokes we talked about earlier – for my J10. That is if you still have any left over from your M715 project.

Do you need this for the vehicle inspection you posted about? I can send it to you now but I would rather come up and install it and deal with your headlight feed back problem while there.

I think I have one or two yokes for the pto setup. I'll look around. It's totally up to you if you want to come up. I figured I'd stop by your place as well in a couple weeks when we go to Oregon. I am going to the DMV today so well see. I hope I don't have to have any inspections.

I think I have one or two yokes for the pto setup. I'll look around. It's totally up to you if you want to come up. I figured I'd stop by your place as well in a couple weeks when we go to Oregon. I am going to the DMV today so well see. I hope I don't have to have any inspections.
    Thanks! I need the smaller diameter ones like the one on your winch as I have the same winch. My PTO also takes the same small one – don't remember the size off hand.

Yes please stop by! I really am looking forward to meeting you and your family.

DMV used to just check the vin to make sure it is not stolen. Not sure how it is now as it has been a while since had one inspected.

Thanks to Wrecker and Gimpy Rob. I will donate my 24 v. distribution box to Amphi, in case he would like to build another 12 v box for someone else. Had I known I would probably just purchased a 12v solid state turn signal in the begining. I am electronically challenged. It seems I give off an electrical current, and some things I touch just quit working. I am learning thanks to Al and other friends, quite a bit lately about vehicle wiring. Thanks Again Amphi.

I will donate my 24 v. distribution box to Amphi, in case he would like to build another 12 v box for someone else.

Not sure I really want to do this again -- but maybe -- because I learned a long time ago while building airplanes that the 80% production progress curve (learning curve) does kick in making subsequent units much less complicated than earlier ones.