Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifting data plate

Default Shifting data plate

I didn't want to hijack the thread in stock tech. I've looked at Saturn and Rapco online and haven't found a shifting data plate for my spicer 3053a tranny. I would like to put one in my truck. Any quick ideas? - gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

That's the deuce tranny, isn't it? Weird that RAPCO wouldn't have one. Did you call them?

But I would imagine you could get one off a dead deuce somewhere, (if I'm correct that the 3053a is a deuce tranny, of course!)
    -- Tim Taylor

The M35 plate that has the shift pattern also has all the speeds for both hi and low t-case ranges and a big red back ground warning about exceeding them. The plate is probably 8 or 9 inches long. You would have to cut it up to make it fit the M715 plate panel.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Gonz, any good sign shop or decal shop should be able to produce a decal that will read anyway you want it.

Have them print it in say black, red or yellow, or whichever color you want the plate in, on a clear background with the letters and lines being the clear part.

Then, get a small piece of aluminum, cut it to the size you have to work with, polish it, then apply the decal on top of it. The bright aluminum will show through the clear numbers, text and lines and look very much like the original silk-screened plate.

We've used this to reproduce a number of unobtainable data plates for some restorations and it looks very original.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks all! I found a really old jpg of the shift pattern a long time ago, but the quality was really bad. I tried increasing the size, but it just pixelated (sp?) out. The pic looked like the shift pattern alone without any of the high/low max speeds. Tim, I appreciate you giving me the heads up on the data plate. I think I may head out to a local junk yard and see if they still have some old M35 cabs there. I'll see if the data plates are there- gonz
    Come and take it

Just remember the M35 had two different transmissions over its life. The OD3053A has 5th up and to the right. The direct drive 5th 3052 has it to the bottom right.

Here is a picture of mine I just took:

Since you can't see it very good in that one, here is another that isn't framed correctly:

Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The pic I had was just of the black box, but with the 3053a pattern. Looked identical with 4th and 5th switched. I can't remember if it said "front transmission" or not- gonz
    Come and take it

Gonz, just got back. Got you one with 4 & 5 reversed from Tim's pic. PM me an addy. Its not new but very read-able.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

My message from last night is MIA.

Gimp: Thanks man!! YOU ROCK!! This is going to be great!- gonz
    Come and take it

No sweat, I am glad to help another member of this board.
    "We are here for the meeting!"