Thread: using 292 six in line for engine swap

Default using 292 six in line for engine swap

hey Guys, I am busy at work with my 67, M715 tis is my second proyect, the first one was a piece of cake, no changes, just complete body frame separation paint, an put all back together stock, 24vdc and all.
    my brother drove it in TJ Mex for ever. we did complete OHC on stock engine and tranny ( we got most of the replacement parts for the tranny and engine from a napa store in san Diego. (this was about 7 years ago). Well, now i got this other proyect going..and I will do the classical engine swap, I need the gas mileage and a bit of speed...so I am looking to kep it simple. I am contemplating at a 250 chevy, or a 292 six in line engine. not a lot of power but i will not any rough off roading with this truck , just drive arround town and to work (7 miles each way) and i will do a gear ratio change and the stock axles, and install lock hubs.
    can anyone recomend any place where I can find a engine swap kit for this application?? (mounts and tranny adpter) . I also have another question: I hear some of you guys have done a leaf spring over axle change for he front suspenssion...can I do this with the stock front axle?? will I need different leaf springs fot this to work?? al your feedback will be greatly appreciated !!

Novak conversions has the adapter for the engine to T-98. It is the same as for a sbc. Don't know about the engine mounts. Porkchop has this same setup running in his truck. He did all the work himself, so I would consider him to be the best source for info on the 292. Maybe he'll pop in or you could shoot him a PM.

I have a 292 in mine. I did not do the swap, it was done by the previous owner. They used a Lakewood bell housing for the swap, along with probably an ADVANCED ADAPTER. I have not had it apart to confirm the adapter, can only see the outside of it. Mine has been converted to 12v and I added power brakes. Hopefully you can find one with the power steering mounts, as that is my only complaint. I drive mine the 3 miles to work, and wish I had the PS. The only other issue I know of is that the fuel pump on the 292 lines up with the passenger side factory motor mount, so you have to address that. Mine has it blocked off and an electric fuel pump added. It has okay power, gets around 12 mpg or so with stock gears and 36" tires. . ..How soon you planning on this install? My engine may become available late this summer. .. . I am near Sacramento.

Remember the Chevy 292's?

This is a great thread with lots of info. I also have some pictures of my install.

I am working on one now, just got a 292 home last Friday. Check out that thread mentioned, the guys taught me a lot. We are excited about it, these motors are really easy and simple to work on and are highly touted.