Thread: a little discouraged

Default a little discouraged

well... I made it all the way to aberdeen yesterday in the rain. went to pull the m715 off the trailer to show it and noticed a rainbow on the ground. I hopped out to check and found that i had blown my oil filter off. Not the gasket... the filter OFF. As you can imagine i was a little upset as this is the one show i had been really looking foreward to, so i rushed to the nearest autozone. i put 2 motocraft oil filters on it and it blew them both apart. I finaly got sick of throwing money at it and just went home. when i got home i took an air compressor to the engine block and met no resistance at all. but its clear that something must have been hung up in there before. I put a new filter on it and torqued it to 50 ft/lbs and its been running fine ever since. does anyone have any idea what happened and how i can prevent this again? I'm stumped.
    Thanks
    Mike Grierson
    1967 M715

Use the search engine and check it out. If I remember correctly, someone recently started a thread discussing the same problem. I don't remember what caused the problem, as I've not experienced the same.

The oil press. relief valve was stuck, allowing to much oil pressure. It must have gotten loose now though.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I would bet on the relief valve too...was this motor rebuilt recently or had a new oil pump put in or anything? How many miles on it?

well its got 11000 on it and the last military overhaul was at Ft. hood in 3/1974 with standard size everything. it wasn't running when i got it and someone had the wrong oil filter on it so when i started it for the first time it did the same thing. i put the right oil filter on it and i havent had a problem since. i put atleast 500 miles on it since i got it and havent had a problem till yesterday. i'm beggining to think its time for a rebuild this summer.
    Mike Grierson
    1967 M715

Well...thats a little bit weird...have to think about it a bit now...