Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Jam at the Exhaust Shop

Default Traffic Jam at the Exhaust Shop

Alls I can say is WOW. I knew I might get some attention but never counted on that much. I drove my truck I think about 10 miles to town to Airport welding in Snohomish for them to start on my exhaust. Thumbs up and looks the whole way. I parked in front near the road and walked in. I waited a couple minutes, they were finishing lunch. Maybe 5 minutes later I walked outside and wholly crap. There was probably 20 people standing around my truck. Don't touch, I said. A bunch of bikers pulled over and were looking, 3 or 4 cars pulled in and people got out and were looking. Then two Jeeps stopped in the middle of the road and were looking. It was a freaking Zoo. One guy wanted to know if was interested in his Deuce for sale $9,000.00 was all he wanted. I asked it it came with a full tank of fuel. The fella who owns the machine shop next to the exhaust shop came out. He helped me make a new trans collar shaft for the throw out bearing to ride on. I was trying to talk to him and noticed one guy started to open my hood. Pulled up one hood clamp and dropped it against my new unscratched paint. Doh. I said don't touch my truck very loudly. I think everyone heard and all took a step back. The exhaust guy and I layed under the truck and figured out the routing and I pulled the truck around back and left. It will be spending the weekend indoors at the exhaust shop. I think I will need some insigna that says stay back 100' I liked that on Gimps M725. Or maybe radio active waste on board. Anyways I enjoyed the day. Can't wait until Monday to drive it back home. I just don't understand why someone would touch someone elses truck. I just about lost it. My temper that is. I lost it a few times in my life. It's not very fun. I try to keep my temper tucked away and not let it get out. It has been ugly. Anyways no truck to work on this weekend. I feel naked and lost my truck is not in the shop. I'm going through withdrawls. Has anyone else experienced this.

Dang fisherman, I'd have been hot too. It's one thing to admire with the eyes, and sometimes it's a whole other animal to start fingering a "new" rig. Particularly opening the hood on any rig, let alone a M715. This is one of the few rigs that are notorious for the inverted half-circle rub on the fender from the hood latches. Whew, just reading your story had me getting temperamental.

As for your withdrawals, if I was closer, I'd bring my truck that needs paint over to your shop to keep you company this weekend. I hope to see some photos of your truck soon, as it must really be a show piece. I get the looks and thumbs, but nobody has ever fingered my truck. It's either because it looks so dirty all the time or because I'm mean looking.

Todd, I have yelled at more people about those hood tie downs than anything else on the truck. I keep thinking I should smear grease on them so people will not even be tempted to touch.

Pretty neat feeling to get all the attention for something you built isn't it?

I know exactly what you mean about "empty shop" syndrome. My Gasser is in my class room, the M715 is done, the troop seats are done, I don't have enough paint to finish the M35 bed, so I haven't started it yet. Plus, the M715 was in an airshow last weekend and will be in a parade next weekend. I don't want to drive it because then I will have to wash it again.

I spent the morning working around the house. Stuff like maintenance on the washing machine, mowing the grass, weed whacking, trash burning, putting out hay for the horses, changing out a hose bib, etc... Items that have been put off for a while. I don't like it. I think I will have to forget the rest of the house work and go mess with the M715 tow bar adaptor or something.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I have personally never owned a vehicle that gets as much attention as the 715. They do draw a crowd, without a doubt!

I was at a local Home Depot and a whole family came out and was walking across the lot. The Dad and kids all headed for the minivan, and the Mom was heading for the 715 for a closer look. I've never seen that happen anywhere else or with any other vehicle. Even my wife got a laugh out of that.

As far as anyone touching the truck, I am surprised they'd have the nerve. No one so far has ever attempted to lift my hood, or get in, although they don't seem to mind leaning on it pretty readily. With a straight face, I just tell them to be careful, as this truck was deployed at the White Sands Atomic test range in the 60's and may still have a bit of residual radioactivity on it. They kinda' get a funny look and move away.....
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default The Hood... . .

My truck was taken on a roll back to the blaster 2 weeks ago. Same thing, after it was unloaded, a guy walked over and opened the hood. Lots of nerve. I would never do that to anyone.

What??!? No pictures???!?!?

I caught someone reaching in to turn my three lever switch off. I guess people know not to touch a vehicle if it's in a car show, but if it's out in public it's free game?

I had my 725 at an air show last year. Once in a while I would hear the siren go off , some one reaching in and pushing the button. But the worse thing was I look over to see TWO KIDS, maybe 5 or 6 ,jumping up and down on the seats, I went over and yelled at the father to get his kids out of the vehicle, and asked if he'd let his kids do it in his vehicle, his answer was , the door was open. so i ended up locking it up so no one could get in.

I know what you guys mean. Finally got the truck outta the shop this week, with an eye on attending a show this weekend.

Made the show, and won a prize for the truck (unwashed even), for best Jeep "stock" with 38's. It was one of the more talked about rigs at the show (lots of built jeeps, buggies, some Toys, etc). I spent a good portion of the afternoon just telling people what it was.

I hear what Fisherman is saying though, most of these folks were off-road types, they would ask who owned it, and point/ask before touching. I have come out to see folks heading for the hood before though. I think that lopey cam makes folks REAL curious.

Any real m715 has mud on it and the half-circles under the hood latches. If it doesn't it's a pansy-butt poser.

Just my $0.02.