Thread: Less springs more flex

Default Less springs more flex

as you know the stock 715 will get stuck on a speed bump if you lift a wheel with stock diffs... so since the gas prices has it sitting more than id like i might as well do some work to it huh...

first off..... there are no plans to carry any weight in this rig and a buck board ride isnt what i want. so to soften up the suspension i hear you can take out two or (three?) leaf springs ..... which leafs come out?

second project is..... welding up a lincoln locker in the rear diff, i have lots of oxy/acet for preheating (never over 400degF) a small stash of nickel rod for the root passes and some lohi 8018b1 (runs like 7018) for the fill
    8018 b1 rod is special made for hi strength steel it has scavengers in it to reduce cracking

to determine the magic 400 degF cover part with acetylene smoke (pure carbon) heat untill carbon disapears (sublimes) and that is 400 degF

this can be used on aluminum but be careful its gets mushy quick any hotter

build pics will follow progress

1st and 3rd, or 2nd and 4th...latter is the more popular idea.

If you can source a set of front springs from a wag, I'd seriously consider it. My rear main spring is still stock, ditched the main leaf from the wag packs and the remianing leaves were swapped those in. Amazingly soft ride now with much better flex than stock.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

I pulled 3 leaves and lost a couple inches of height, gained a bit of axle wrap and when I loaded up to move over the hill to here, I was riding on the bumpstops. It rode really soft, and almost felt too vague in the back with the front left unchanged.

My truck is gone so I can't say for sure but I pulled every other leaf, starting with second from the main. I started with 2 leaves gone and it felt too stiff for me but I never let it settle before going to 3 leaves.

Chris

Try painting each individual leaf with slip plate graphite paint. I bought new springs from AB and dismantled and painted each individual leaf with two coats of slip plate. It rides smooth, and it flexes pretty sweet for an M truck.. Most stock springs are being bound by years of rust and dirt, that stuff doesn't allow much movement. Slip plate can be bought at your local John Deere tractor store. It's pretty cheap and it is amazing stuff. I've found many uses for it.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by 5quarter View Post

to determine the magic 400 degF cover part with acetylene smoke (pure carbon) heat untill carbon disapears (sublimes) and that is 400 degF
    How do you determine the whole part is actually 400 degrees, and then keep it there while you weld?
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Id say fisherman is correct on the crud built up on the springs and all. Joe has stock springs on his truck and it articulates real good and will actually keep all wheels on the ground when the rest of us are lifting a foot or more off the ground. he's wheeled with his truck for years though and probably has the springs loosened up. I think we need to dicect his truck and se why it does so good.
    On my 715 that I plan to build for the ole lady, Im going down to the local spring shop and having them make new springs up for me.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715