Thread: Power steering hoses

Default Power steering hoses

Anyone convert to power steering run into clearance issues of lines hitting the bottom of crossmember for radiator? My box is bolted up, but I can't fit screw in male fittings b/c they're hitting that crossmember. Does it need to be cut out and moved out of the way? I tried Napa & Boregeson, but I can't get fittings that are like 1" shorter.

Can't custom-order the hoses? Or is it even the hoses that are the problem?

(I'm pretty much lost without pictures!)
    -- Tim Taylor

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I used a pressure hose to fit a 1978 C20 chevy pickup with a 454 engine. It comes out of the box at a 90 degree angle and clears the frame member fine.

For the return I just used a 90 degree fitting and regular return hose to the pump.

All of it didn't matter later anyway, as I removed the frame members to lower my radiator and center it on the fan.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I'll have to try that chevy c20 pressure hose. That would be easier/cleaner than pulling out the radiator and cutting the cross support. Sounds like I don't need to be too fussy on return line b/c it doesn't have the pressure to really leak.

I thought for sure Borgeson would have something. They're by me in Torrington and do all kinds of custom steering for hot-rods and sell through Summit and the internet. What a hose job (no pun intended)!

I used a 90* fitting as well - the leak I have is from the PS pump shaking back and forth because with headers, I couldn't use the brace to the head.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Quote Originally Posted by compexp View Post
    I couldn't use the brace to the head.
    What are you talking about Rich?
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Had same problem, bent it up, cut part of it away. My hose fit a CJ, I think.

My hoses are for a J truck. A touch more bending and I was able to make them work. I wanted to keep the crossmembers. You can have a custom hose made up at any place that does hydraulic lines.

The stock ps pump mount on an sbc has a brace from the number 2 exhaust port area to the back of the pump. That brace "straddles" the exhaust manifold and uses the manifold bolts. Since I changed to headers, my brace wouldn't fit, and I haven't fabbed one up yet.

So, I mark my territory!

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    What are you talking about Rich?
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715