Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of engine

Default What kind of engine

Hey,

I have been towing a lot in the m715 recently, and i am not happy with the power of its original engine. If i were to change the engine to a larger engine, what would be the best choice. I have always wanted to have a diesel, but what engine would be the easiest to install, and most reliable. i want to pull a car trailer with the m715 with comfort that I can go over 25mph up the next hill.

Chevy 502 Big Block.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Default whoo!

That would plenty of pony's under the hood!

easiest to swap is a relative term. a lot of us have used chevy 350s, and i plan on doing that in my current build with a tbi 350. There are adapter plates, etc already researched for this engine.

some guys have used 6.2 diesels, i think at least 1 6.5 turbo diesel, cummins 4bt diesels, etc.

long and short of it, what engine do you have around that you can use? or, since you are towing a lot - what's the most practical engine for you? gas or diesel?

if you are going with gas, and can get an entire fuel-injected chevy setup WITH computer and wiring harness, i think that would be one of the better choices. If you don't want to worry about fuel injection, that opens up a lot more options.

IF i had my perfect choice, it would probably be a multi-port 350 with an overdrive tranny. But, in my case, money dictates, so i had to settle for a tbi 350.

Almost anything will fit, just depends on how much $$ you want to spend.

clear as mud?
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

If you can snag an FSJ with a 360/401 it's a pretty easy swap, just steal the mounts, too. SBC's are the most common. Diesels sound cool but with the cost of maintenance, initial cost of the engine, and the cost of fuel I don't see the logic anymore.

Thanks for the help

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'm running a 402 Chevy Big Block with fuel injection. It wasn't exactly an easy swap, but no worse than anything else of that scope either.

It works fine with the gearing and will pull anything without a problem. If I have any complaints, it would be that it gets hot in the cab, as Big Block Chevys tend to give off a fair amount of heat, and that it only gets about 8-10 MPG, but that isn't why I built it...
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default engine conversion

I use a 6.2 liter Detroit Diesel since 4 years (before a 2.8 l Hanomag Diesel engine) with average between 12 to 13 mpg. But it is a lot of work! (Compared with that, the Hanomag modification was simple!) The power train is the limiting factor, not the needs. 350 Nm is the max of torque which the T98 trans will eat. But not for a long time. Be careful with your left foot!
    And do not forget, the M715 is NOT made to run at 75 mph, its a 55 mph vehicle. I know what I'm talking about, I run a M715 since 1982 over 85000 miles!
    Wolf from Germany

I`m currently putting in a built 2004 8.1 , not an easy install by any means but I will be able to program the mefi for mpg , towing or big dumb grin
    whatever engine you choose is going to be a lot of work so pick the one you really want and go for it.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by warpig View Post
    I`m currently putting in a built 2004 8.1 ....but I will be able to program the mefi for mpg
    you mean GPM?
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™