Thread: Alternator problems

Default Alternator problems

My stock alternator isn't charging my batteries. I checked all the connections, tried adjusting the voltage regulator up and checked the output. Does anyone know of someone who either repairs them or has rebuilds?

Most of the MV vendors have rebuilt or used ones for sale. cme arma in fla advertises alt's I dont know how expensive: 305 633 1524.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

The place in Floridsa is in Bradenton...if I recall correctly...and they are pricey...but when your are all there is out there...

Occasionally VPW or Memphis has one that is a take off or even an NOS unit hat was found in a crate somewhere...you can try them but dont hold your breath...

Its odd that these military alt's have been so locked up as to parts and rebuilding. I tried yrs ago to have one rebuilt and was told that parts were not avial to the general public.
    I dont see what makes them so top secret, you can easily get any other elec. part. I think it was mentioned here recently that no more new units were being produced and who knows how much longer for parts.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

On of our members who knows alternators very well went through one and replaced the diodes and had to rewind the stator and more...he managed to paw around and find the parts out there...it took someone who knows the biz to do it...kind of like many other things...

I have a good used one available.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

You didn't mention it but does the batteries mysteriouly die after some time even though you haven't run the truck. If so, that's a diode issue and further running of the truck can cook the windings. This is the easest to fix, parts are cheap and easy to get.

Check to see if current is flowing throught the fat wire connecting the batteries to the alt. If current exists without anything running or ignition switch on, then I would recommend unwiring the unit completely before you run it any further.

If no current, and no output when running, then likely a regulator problem which may or may not be an easy fix. I don't know your level of skill but if you could open the unit up take some pics, I could guide you through some quick checks to see what's up. First course of action would be to find out which vintage the unit is by the last digit of the model # it will be an A or B up to F.

Do you still have the used alternator I'm interested.