Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1968 m715

Tenacity! Good on ya, I know it is fiddly but rewarding when you finally complete what you are going after. Remember, these things are over 40 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Tenacity! Good on ya, I know it is fiddly but rewarding when you finally complete what you are going after. Remember, these things are over 40 years old!

Haha, true. Sometimes it feels like one step forward, two steps back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are at the best stage of a project. Almost done. I'll be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    You are at the best stage of a project. Almost done. I'll be watching.

Haha, thanks! I love the “running-driving-project” phase.

How are things looking in your neck of the woods this fire season? How’s your M715 project going?

She’s running 35’s and she’s nearly sanded down.

That rear driver’s side fender is going to be a problem. I might have to bring out the heat on it to bend it back.

Well all is well so far. Everything is turning very brown and the grass is long in the trees from a wet spring. I have done a ton of prevention work since the 2015 Tower fire. It was just up the road and toasted 28 thousand acres. Made me nervous watching it burn for 6 weeks. I have done what I can.
    My truck is now ready for some more work. I was preparing a very nice CJ-7 to sell. Well it is going to the friend that I restored the wagoneer for. It is for one of his boys. So I had weeks of added work to verify and repair any and all things that could be a problem for him. I want him to be safe. The dad and I have had a lengthy conversation about a young new driver in a CJ. Aside from the aweful world issues, all is well.

Your fender is thick metal. Eat your wheaties before swinging that hammer. Try to use the fairmount method on the damage. First in last out. You might try a sand filled dead blow hammer for moving the metal back into position. Have your son hold something heavy on the fender to provide resistance while you strike the metal. Or it could just do a lot of bouncing around. A solid body hammer strike on a dolly will stretch metal and leave you with a bulge to try and get rid of later. You know a solid strike by the sound. It will make a sharp "chink" where an off dolly strike will be more of a "thud". That solid chink strike makes the metal want move away in all directions from the actual point of contact from the hammer. That is why you get the stretch and bulge. If the rig drives and you feel like it, you could come up and we could get after it. It's up to you... The rig looks good and glad you are getting somewhere with it. Incentive for us all.

Default 1968 m715

Well all is well so far. Everything is turning very brown and the grass is long in the trees from a wet spring. I have done a ton of prevention work since the 2015 Tower fire. It was just up the road and toasted 28 thousand acres. Made me nervous watching it burn for 6 weeks. I have done what I can.
    My truck is now ready for some more work. I was preparing a very nice CJ-7 to sell. Well it is going to the friend that I restored the wagoneer for. It is for one of his boys. So I had weeks of added work to verify and repair any and all things that could be a problem for him. I want him to be safe. The dad and I have had a lengthy conversation about a young new driver in a CJ. Aside from the aweful world issues, all is well.

Your fender is thick metal. Eat your wheaties before swinging that hammer. Try to use the fairmount method on the damage. First in last out. You might try a sand filled dead blow hammer for moving the metal back into position. Have your son hold something heavy on the fender to provide resistance while you strike the metal. Or it could just do a lot of bouncing around. A solid body hammer strike on a dolly will stretch metal and leave you with a bulge to try and get rid of later. You know a solid strike by the sound. It will make a sharp "chink" where an off dolly strike will be more of a "thud". That solid chink strike makes the metal want move away in all directions from the actual point of contact from the hammer. That is why you get the stretch and bulge. If the rig drives and you feel like it, you could come up and we could get after it. It's up to you... The rig looks good and glad you are getting somewhere with it. Incentive for us all.

I’m glad all is well and reasonably safe up there. I hope it stays that way. It is crazy hot, and I’m glad you’re keeping busy, even if it is on a CJ!

Wow, thanks for the offer, but It is nearly too hot to be working outside- even in the shade! And, of course, I managed to get the fenders dialed in, but I’m over my monthly quota of pics! Hahaha.

More body work is in order, then on to some epoxy primer. Then a high build primer. Then block sand. Then we’ll see what is next. Hopefully final paint.

Edit:

Day 6 of body work ends, day 7 starts tomorrow (but I should be able to get it all into black epoxy primer tomorrow AM).

Last edited by 66stepside; August 3rd, 2020 at 03:36 PM.

I have three gauges working today: new speedo, stock oil, and stock temp gauge. Whew. Two gauges left to do.

Looking good! Gauges are just a luxury right??

Default 1968 m715

Looking good! Gauges are just a luxury right??

Thanks- true true! I’m looking forward to getting the fuel gauge operational, though.

Edit:

Electrical conduit (as per Carson Top design) wrapped in 14 gauge a slightly polished aluminum skin, riveted every 6” front to back. I used the existing snap locations to create black nylon webbing retainers.

I left quite a bit of aluminum on the back end so I can now work out a removable rear window that also cover’s the area behind the doors. It will also be aluminum.

Last edited by 66stepside; August 23rd, 2020 at 04:06 PM.