Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to mount my Blackout light

Default Where to mount my Blackout light

I replaced my original hood with a FSJ hood. I have a the black out light stuff ready to be mounted, thank you Brandon. But a certain Binford snuck by picked up a hood I was going to copy and now I'm not sure where to mount the black out light on my new hood. Can someone please pull a measurement and maybe a picture to show exactly where I mount the base. Thanks everyone.

I did this on the crashed Zone...looks like its lost and needs to be done again...I have an NOS hood out in the shop...will work from that if I cant find the old stuff...I had an image somewhere but it may have been lost too.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    ...someone please pull a measurement and maybe a picture to show exactly where I mount the base.
    Please use the photos as a reference, as you'll see a small dent under the rear bolt that may or may not distort the measurements. Ideally, if another source can run a tape measure and list the measurements, the photos would act as a good cross reference. The tape measure in the photo is pulled from the cowl end (hinge end) of the hood. If you'd like specific measurements also, let me know, but it may be wise to receive information from two separate sources.

The 4" mark is aligned to the hood crease.

Ok...here we go...the measuring was fun by myself but checked and rechecked.

Heres a pic of my NOS hood showing the holes:

I put a straight edge across the front facing flat edge of the hood...you cant see the flat edge in the pic but it is the part that does face directly forward when the hood is mounted on the truck. Due to the front edge of the hood being angled, I had to move the straight edge for the first 2 measurements to make sure I got the right answer...so the 1st and 2nd measurements are to the straight edge directly on the front of the hood...I hope that makes sense.

From the center of the outer, forward mount hole to the front edge of the hood: 10 5/16ths inches.
    From the center of the inner, forward mount hole to the front edge of the hood: 10 11/16ths inches.

The bolt holes for the b/o mount plate are 3/8ths inch.
    The front mount holes of the b/o mount plate to the rear holes is 3 inches center to center.
    The outer mount holes of the b/o mount plate to the inner holes is 5 inches cener to center.

The edge of the hood has a vertical section with the mount holes for the hood latch...if you look VERY carefully, you can note where they are in the pic...if you use the 3 inches from front to rear of the b/o mount holes as a guide, go that 3 inches forward and on the very edge of the hood you will be inbetween the 2 holes. Between the top of the hood and the vertical edge, where the latch mount, there is an angled section of the hood...you can see that in the pic. I measured from the edge of this angled section to the center of each bolt hole.

Front bolt hole center to edge of angled section: 7/16ths inch
    Rear bolt hole center to edge of angled section: 1/2 inch

I think that will allow one to find the correct locations.

The rear large hole for the wires measures 7/8ths inch in diameter.
    Its center is located 1 7/16ths inches from a line drawn across the bottom of the rear 2 b/o mount holes.
    The large wire hole is inset 2 5/16ths from the inside edge of the inner rear b/o mount hole.

I hope this all makes sense...just ask if you need clarification.

Heh, heh, heh....

If you'd like, I could lay a sheet of paper over the hood and do a press-pattern for you. Then you could line it up on your hood, matching the crease in the paper to the corresponding crease on your hood, and you'd know exactly where to make the holes. This I could mail to you today.

Just say the word....
    -- Tim Taylor

Why didnt I think of that...would have been easier I bet...

Thanks everyone, Brute, Markness, Binford. I'll be mounting it sometime this week. I got my license plates. Time for a trip to the gas station to fill her up. Next stop will be the exhaust place.

So you won't need the paper pattern then? Let me know if you do and I'll get it done and off to you. Otherwise I won't do it. (Not sure how exact you're looking to get with it.)
    -- Tim Taylor

Thanks Tim, but I don't think I'll need it. I know where the mounting base goes now, just need to mark and drill the mounting holes. Everything else is a piece of cake.

Hey Tim, speaking of that hood, how's it cleaning up?