Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chevy 6.2L with 350 turbo

Default chevy 6.2L with 350 turbo

ok so i have a chevy 6.2L from a hummer... and i was told that a 350 turbo trans would work well with it.... now my question is... what will i need in order to make this swap successful???
    Medic
    Special Troops, 40th ID

A deisel rated torque converter. I would use a 700r4 instead of the 350.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Will a TH350 handle the torque of a diesel? Every 6.2 or 6.5 I personally have seen, whether it was a 4x4 pickup, 2wd van, or box truck all used heavier versions of a TH400. I think they are known as TH475 trans. I was always told that they have larger shafts and some other upgrades (one that comes to mind is a deeper pan) to make them strong enough to live behind diesel torque in heavier trucks.

I dont think a 350 would do well for long.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

what about an nv4500??? and what transfercase would u guys suggest??? is NP205 the best way to go or is the something out there that would be a better choice?? im an offroader... and i plan to take this bad boy out to the tracks.... besides the under the hood stuff... what else should i consider replacing/rebuilding/upgrading???
    Medic
    Special Troops, 40th ID

We used to drag 455 Olds motors with TH350's behind them and it's a sure bet those 455's were putting out more hp and torque than any 6.2 ever dreamed of. Now a TH400 is certainly a step up but it also is known as a power robbing sunuvagun(hence why we ran shift kitted 350's with a few extra discs tossed in for good measure).

Most of the racers I know prefer powerglides. I agree with you that a built TH350 will do well in a race car, but the constant load and traction of all 4 tires in such a heavy truck is an entirely different type of torque load. If considering a manual trans the SM465 is hard to beat for price, strength and gearing.....no o/d though. I had a p/u with a 6.2 and the 465, 3.73 gears and 33" tires...it got 20+ mpg. It would NOT scare anyone with acceleration though. NV4500 would be great for the o/d, if rig will see lots of road time, but the extra initial cost should be factored in.
    The 715 I'm currently building is running a 454 with a TH400 mated to a NP203-205 doubler kit. Not my first choice, but readily available and cheap. Intially considered a 5.9 and NV4500, but the costs were going to be thousands of dollars higher. Just did not make sense for me, might be different for another truck owner though, based upon the intended use.

ive only seen a turbo 400 behind the 6.2's a turbo 350 is too weak, seems like my cousins are always blowing them up when their wheeling, the nv4500 idea is way better, i have a sm465 and a np205... seems like it might be a good set up, im not worried about it blowing up since those trannys are in dump trucks, i also seen one in a m35 last sunday. they seem to hold up to alot.

the nv4500 ive heard are ok, i heared that they all have a common problem of cracking in a sertian spot, i cant think of where it was, its been a while ha, but i was debating the nv4500 and the sm465, and i went 465. seems good rock hard reliable, and ok gearing...
    my signature is sweet huh?

oh, and the np 205's are good, ive never personally ran one, but thats what i have, and it seems prety nice... ive heared their again rock solid, reallt tough to blow up, their all gears insteed of the chaied np 203 and 208, the 208 is lower geared i think, and ive also heared good stories... untill the chain streaches or breaks... when i build something for my truck, i want it to be as simple as possible, my tranny and transfercase are all chevy 1 ton all gear, and every one i ask say its a prety good set up.. not only that, but the trannys are all over, you can get them a dime a dozen... ive came accrosed so many... matter afact if your in cali and if you want one, i know where 2 2wd 465's are. then after that look for a devorced 205....

just my

although in my 465/205 set up i have ran into problems with drivelines. i have a married set up, so my rear drive line is 5 feet long! and my front is 27 inches. all been a pain in the butt trying to find the right ones
    my signature is sweet huh?

You also need to keep in mind that if you are running an auto it MUST be set up for a diesel. Diesel's don't produce vaccuum, so you don't have vacuum to run the modulator. I woud not put anything less than a TH400 behind a diesel, ...FWIW