Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mounts for poor man's engine swap?

All I know on this is that there are:
    many different input shaft lengths from 6.5 to 16 inches
    2 different spline counts on the tranny end of the shaft, 23 and 27 if I remember right
    left and right rotation shafts in those 2 different spline counts
    Excedrin required as far as me thinks...
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

The J20 will have a dana 20 Xfer if it's 79 or back. FSJ's never came with a dana 300.

The dana 20 will suffice as a daily driver, mild trail case, but the output shaft is weak and will break sometimes under stress. They make a 32 spline upgrade for mucho dinero. Remeber the infamous bigfoot had a dana 20 transfer case.

You could get an AMC t176 bellhousing and a 2wd ford T18 or NP435 will bolt right up and allow you to keep the np 200 or a divorced 205.

As for the mounts just use the ones from the J20

J20 short beds with a T18 'could' come with a Dana300. I have seen a few of these (Pascal Ray had them).

As for making the dana20 stronger, getting a Scout dana300 (bolts up with the 1" adaptor for hte dana20, already has the shorter and stronger setup. Of course these are not that common, but you also get the better low range as well.

I thought that jeep only used the dana 300 from 80-86 at that time they were using the T18/208 in J20's

who knows with AMC?

Not sure what year(s) it was, but they did get the dana300 in some. And I am pretty sure that it was only with the short bed version of the truck.

hey guys pulled the 360 yesterday, it was the first time i had seen it. It fired right up first lick before we pulled it. i am going to use the J20 motor mounts, they are new ones. We are going to use the T98 i think and change the input shaft. My brother wants to keep the T98 and NP 200, as it is his truck i will do it his way. i would probably do the same thing if it was mine. i thank everyone for their help and now just need to know if there are any threads on the input shaft swap?

thanks

eric

I found a thread yesterday somewhere (I think it was on IFSJA or another Jeep board) where someone swapped parts between the T98 and T18. Apparently the OD of the T98 input shaft is different than the OD of the T18 shaft so you have to use the T18 bearing setup in the T98 case. The OD of the bearing is the same between both trannys just the ID changes to fit the OD of the specific input shaft.

My concern is building a near bolt in setup that looks stock except of course the motor. If I was to just use the Ford 2wd T18 with a Jeep T176 bellhousing, I think the tranny would end up too far forward with the J truck mounts in the normal V8 position. This would leave me fabricating a new crossmember, bending the shifter handle for dash clearance, having the jackshaft lengthened, and cutting another hole in the floor for the new shifter position. On the contrary, if I was to put the Ford 2wd T18 in the stock T98 location, All the above problems would be resolved but it would result in the motor being much closer to the firewall and the J truck mounts would probably not line up to the factory holes (which is no big deal - just drill new ones). The question here is motor to firewall clearance. I think this is definately a concern because the V8 T18 FSJ's all came with the long input shafts and spacers so the tranny shifter is in the right place and the motor will clear the firewall. If it was not necessary then Jeep prolly would not have done it.

I figure with the Jeep T18 long input in the Ford 2wd T18 and the factory Jeep spacer and bellhousing, the tranny can sit in the same position as the T98 and the motor will clear the firewall plus it may line up with the factory holes.

Anyone care to add to this?

I am looking forward to see what you come up with by using the T98. If yours works, I am going to consider using my T98 instead of the Ford 2wd T18. I am in the process of buying a 79 J20 with the 360/T18a/D20 setup that I planned to use for a donor. If I don't have to buy the Ford tranny then that will save me some more money.

I will see if I can find that post on the shaft swap. If I do I will post it here.

Good Luck

Bob

You can put a Ford, or Jeep, T18 in the stock location, but the frame perches for the motor mounts must be moved back some. Basically I moved it back so that the rear frame perch mounting holes in the frame are now going through the front mounting holes on the new FSJ frame perches. So I ended up moving the perches back about 4" or so in total.
    This puts the engine relatively close to the firewall, but it looks like about the same distance that the V8 in my cherokee has.
    Also, if you bolt in the ford or jeep T18, it lines up the shifter, and everything else, perfectly.
    As for swapping the T98 parts with the T18 parts, I think you need the input shaft, bearing retainer and bearing from the T18. And it bolts into the T98. I 'heard' that the bearing retainer has not always fit for people that have done this, but I have ZERO first hand experience with this part. Personally I think I would get a Ford 2wd T18 and bolt it in. Very simple, and they are dirt cheap and almost everywhere in junkyards, etc. (or so I have been told).

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    You can put a Ford, or Jeep, T18 in the stock location, but the frame perches for the motor mounts must be moved back some. Basically I moved it back so that the rear frame perch mounting holes in the frame are now going through the front mounting holes on the new FSJ frame perches. So I ended up moving the perches back about 4" or so in total.
    This puts the engine relatively close to the firewall, but it looks like about the same distance that the V8 in my cherokee has.
    Also, if you bolt in the ford or jeep T18, it lines up the shifter, and everything else, perfectly.
    Which bellhousing did you use? The T176 or the T18 with the spacer and long shaft? Any chance you have a pic of your engine compartment?

I ran across another tidbit of info on the T98 thing. The Jeep bellhousing may not bolt to the tranny as the pattern may be different. The guy who is considering it might want to test fit the Jeep bellhousing on his T98 before he goes too far.

Thanks for the info.

Actually, I have a np435 in mine right now. Which is my issue because it only has the SHORT input shaft. I was planning on running a ranger OD to make up for the short input shaft, but have decided that it really isn't worth the hassle in my case.

that is one of my only current pictures with a motor sitting in the engine bay. The transmission isn't bolted up here, so the engine is tilting back more then it should.

Here is a shot of the J10 frame perches in the correct position for a V8.