Thread: Motor and Tranny

Default Jeep 360 manual swap

Hi, I am about to purchase a M715. It currently has no motor or trans. I was wondering what transmissions would be compatible with the orignal transfer case. I was thinking of putting a 396BB and a Muncie 4 Speed in it. No sure how well that would work. Does anyone know where i could get some lower gears like 4:10 4:11 or 4:56 to put in the original axles. Also if you have any suggestions it would be appriciated.

Clint

Default Re: 360 into M715

Welcome aboard!!

Since the tcase is divorced...there is a driveshaft between the tranny and tcase, any tranny will work...and the combo you listed has been done.
    On gears, Randys ring and pinion can set you up...tell them its an M715...they got it...you are gonna be looking at 4.56 gears...thats the lowest numerical gear the stock setup can use.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default BARRMAN MAGAZINE

Clint,

WELCOME!

Any tranny in 2wd version will mate to the original transfer case as it is divorced from the tranny. They are connected by a short driveshaft called a "jackshaft" or "spudshaft". Thsi part may still be hanging off the front of your transfer case (which is a New Process 200).
    If you are going to use a 396, then you may want to go the route of the SM465 or SM420 as these are GM's closest matching tranny to the stock 715 unit. I run an SM465 in my rig, only mine is mated to an NP205.

As to your question of axle ratio- in order to use the stock carrier you can only swap to a 4.56 gear out of the list you have above. You can get more options, but you'll have to swap out the carrier of both axles. For sources as to where to get the gears, look to the Parts File to your left under the main menu. The military axles use special gears from the civvy versions.

If you have in-depth questions about all this, please don't hesitate to ask. There's a weath of knowledge here and it's yours for the asking.

Barry runs a 396 in his 715, so you may want to PM him and ask some questions. He's the only one using that motor that I know of. Alot of 350's, a couple of 454's, a couple oil burners, and a bunch of 230's.

Again, WELCOME!
    -B.

Dang, I started writing this an hour ago, but my mom wanted to talk and thus Brute beat me to "The Nice Guy Introduction Post".

Sheesh. My one chance to be the nice member and he beats me.
    -B.

Thanks for all the info. It really helps out, and it is much appreciated. Both of you gave me lots of good info. Thanks once again!

Clint

clint: the stock axles have 5.87 gears, Im not sure if you knew it or not. that is about rock climbing gears. some of the guys are runnin overdrive trannys, different transfer cases, higher gears for more highway friendly driving.
    there are some conversion charts that will help you pick the right gears for what you intend to use it for.
    me, im runnin a 350, with stock drivetrain and 38.5x11x16 boggers in a 67 m725. I havent got it on the road yet but im gettin close.
    if you use the stock transfer case youll have to build a bracket to bolt the shifters to the tranny. then you do away with the ebrake as it is on the trans and youll want to rig up something there too. welcome and good luck. youll enjoy it and its worth it when its done.

I kept the stock gears and went the 44's and custom wheels route. should slow the drive train down a little bit. Can't wait to drive it!!

Welcome! That muncie you're talking about using...do you mean a car tranny? Like wide ratio M20 or something like that. IF that is your idea you'd be better to source a cheap four speed from the junkyard out an older work truck that will give you the same 1:1 fourth gear, but give you a 6 or 7:1 granny, not the roughly 2.5:1 first of the wide ratio munch. The close ratio M21-22 and 23's and their 2.20 1st gear would be worse. Hopefully you've got a muncie truck trans. 4.56 gears is the tallest set that will fit our carriers. Keep in mind you'll prolly have 36 or 38" tires so 4.10 gears would bog a little.
    Big Blocks RULE!