Gas Filler QuestionTechnical Forums » Open Discussion Archives » Gas Filler Question
http://m715zone.proboards102.com/index.cgi?board=openarchive&action=display&thread=1161986940

Gas Filler Question
Post by fastfrankie on Oct 27, 2006, 6:09pm

Since we are on the topic of gas fillers....mine gets real chalky inside....I cleaned it out months ago with some steel wool and cleaned it out, but now its getting chalky again, and the chalky deposits are getting into my tank.

Has anyone cleaned the inside of the gas filler and painted it, so that it doesnt get chalky again? I was thinking of using some Rustoleum, which is pretty resistant to gasoline and other fuels.

Any suggestions?

Re: Gas Filler Question
Post by oilcan on Oct 28, 2006, 2:44am

Sticking paint in there will pretty much guarantee various teardowns and rebuilds. Or at least lots of filter swapping.

I'm not quite sure what to do about your problem, though. I'm sure one of these good folks will come up with something.
Post by BinfordM715 on Oct 28, 2006, 2:49am

Coat the inside of the filler with some brand of gas tank liner.
Post by oilcan on Oct 28, 2006, 2:52am

Make sure it stays flexible.
Post by BinfordM715 on Oct 28, 2006, 3:06am

Since he mentioned using Rustoleum, I thought he just meant the inside of the metal part. Bad assumption, perhaps.....
Post by oilcan on Oct 28, 2006, 3:45am

You could be right timmah. We'll see in a little while.
Post by Elwenil on Oct 28, 2006, 8:26am

There are chemical resistant paints out there that would work fine to paint the inside of the filler neck with that the gas will not dissolve. Most of my fuel cans are painted inside.
Post by fastfrankie on Oct 28, 2006, 10:08am

I am just looking for gas resistant paint for inside the METAL fuel filler neck. Like I said, for whatever reason, mine gets real chalky and the white chalky substance falls off into the rubber hose down below. I notice it when I go to fill it up with gas. There must have been like two or three teasthingys of chalk sitting in the rubber hose!

I figured if I clean out the neck again and coat it with some paint, it will stop it from getting chalky again. I hope to go to our local Home Depot or Lowes and get something in their paint aisle to coat it/paint it. Maybe I should shoot some epoxy primer in it? I have plenty of two part epoxy primer...

I never fill my tank all the way up to the rubber hose anyway. The only time gas will have contact with the paint is when refueling and it splashes around a bit. I think epoxy primer may be the answer....
Post by fisherman on Oct 28, 2006, 12:03pm

Good post. I will be doing the inside of my Jerry Can's with the POR 15 gas tank liner kit I bought. Since the inside of my gas tank was so perfect I won't need it there. I think I'll also do the inside of the filler neck to fix the problem you describe. Bring your filler neck over I'll do it at the same time. Fisherman
Post by hiker on Oct 28, 2006, 1:37pm

I believe that the white chalky stuff is just chemicals/additives from the fuel. My truck has the same condition. Unless you find out otherwise, these white deposits will desolve back into the fuel when they wash down into the tank.
Robert-ca
Post by jfnemt1ff1 on Oct 28, 2006, 4:47pm

Dito both of my 725 have the same white stuff no problems yet.
Post by bmac6026 on Oct 28, 2006, 5:06pm

what about replacing the cap seal ? if no vent problems through the filler neck then the chalk possibly would build up and pass thru the vent tube? Just a thought ?
Post by oilcan on Oct 30, 2006, 12:10am

Here's a thought. How about taking it to the local machine shop and getting it hot tanked? Repaint the outside of it, and you won't have to worry about getting everything inside coated with whatever you were planning to use. I know there's a baffle in there that might be a pain.
Post by Barrman on Oct 30, 2006, 10:05am

I get the white chalk stuff too. But, the filter screen in the bottom of the filler neck catches them. I just dump it out before I fill up. Do you guys have the screen in your filler neck?

I got my tank "hot tanked" almost 3 years ago now. I just had to change my first fuel filter since then last week. I was averaging 1-2 filters a month getting so clogged up the truck would stop.
Post by brute4c on Oct 30, 2006, 10:33am

I see the white stuff in a couple filler necks I have purchased for others but not really in mine...might be that funny gas blend we use up here....anyway...I have the screen and so far, in 15000 miles, I have yet to see anything in it...thank goodness!!
Post by kwai on Oct 30, 2006, 10:53am

I get the "white chalk" as well. Don't know if its from the gas, oxidation of the metal or the rubber filler neck.

Post by shepsjeep on Nov 10, 2006, 12:21am

Would any of you know where I could get the screen for my gas filler neck? Mine is missing. Also, I just took my filler neck off and noticed the same chalky material. I sandblasted mine inside and out, painted the inside with black engine paint and recoated the next day. The engine paint is gas and oil resistant and seems to work. I will let you know if the chalk returns.
Post by 12998 on Nov 10, 2006, 11:04am

Ok I have the same issue. I was going to get it media blasted and powdercoated. I know that will stand up to petroleum solvents. But I do have another issue. My fuel tank needs to be cleaned out. If I get it hot taknked is there anyway to seal the inside. It looks like it would be difficult if not impossible with the baffle in there.