Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt on portals

Jester Guest

Default Bolt on portals

Very cool. From what I understand they bolt to the D60/14B combo. Price being thrown around is $7000 for a set of 4

http://motorsports.axletech.com/portal.asp

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Spendy, but what a tough setup.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Wonder how that price compares to a set of unimog axles? I'v seen full unimogs for 5000.00 running and driving.
    Strip out the axles and sell off the parts.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by militarytrux View Post
    Wonder how that price compares to a set of unimog axles? I'v seen full unimogs for 5000.00 running and driving.
    Strip out the axles and sell off the parts.
    Depends on the type of Mog the axles are from. Most people are using 404 axles which require a disc brake upgrade (they are drum stock). Mog axles also have a torque tube so you need a driveshaft conversion. So what I am getting at here is that you are gonna have to put some bank into mog axles.

Mog hybrid (Ford 9" center with mog portals) is also the only way to get a ratio lower than 7.54. Think you would be at least $5K for a set of hybrid mogs.

As an April fools joke in one of the 4X4 mags, they put some Dana 20 transfer cases on the ends of an axle and had come up with this story that a company was going to convert old Dana 20 cases over to use as portal ends that bolt onto the outsides of an axle. ever since then, I always thought that it would be a cool idea to somehow make something similar work. Obviously the bearings would be the critical part.

Has anyone seen the Hum9 Axles they had for awhile? It was a 9inch and i beleive dana 44 with the HMMWV Portal boxes on the ends. Been a few years since i have seen any tech articles on them.

there's a company out there called PortalTek that makes a SpiderTrax 9" housing with portal outers. tough pull to swallow at over $8k for a steering axle and just over $7k for a straight axle... not including the fancy upgrades like air-inflation, lockers, etc.

and speaking of, who wants to go in on the powerball? hahaha... only way i'd be able to afford a set.

Quote Originally Posted by gun512 View Post
    Has anyone seen the Hum9 Axles they had for awhile? It was a 9inch and i beleive dana 44 with the HMMWV Portal boxes on the ends.
    The problem with that is that the HMMWV portal boxes are designed to work with the IFS in the HMMWV's. You would have to get the boxes to work with a strait axel, but a Mog portal is already designed to work with a strait axle.

Quote Originally Posted by kndllmtt View Post
    The problem with that is that the HMMWV portal boxes are designed to work with the IFS in the HMMWV's. You would have to get the boxes to work with a strait axel, but a Mog portal is already designed to work with a strait axle.
    Here is a straight axle design using the hmmwv ends. Probably pricey, but sure is purty

Quote Originally Posted by kndllmtt View Post

Here ya go, stazworks makes the HUM 9 axles. Some poeple use the MOG gear reductions on ford 9 inches as well.

http://www.stazworks.com/axels.htm