Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Source for Power Brakes & Other Questions

I ordered the Corvette MC from NAPA. Re vacuum source: suggestions? I would appreciate a note from anyone who has actually installed a divorced 205, using stock everything else: send a name and I'll contact them.

i have a system from a suburban with disc/ drum rear , would that work good ? i have the complete donor sitting in my drive way waiting to be hauled to the junkyard . do i need to pull off any other parts ?

3. Default

so BDial:What you would like to know is:
    1)Where do you get the Vacuum source for the Power Brake Booster?(on a Stock 230 Tornado)
    2)And can you use a Power Brake Booster/Master Cylinder from a 1980
    FSJ with Disc/Drum? or do you have to use a proportioning valve with it?
    Also does anyone have measurements or drawings for brackets for a powersteering pump for the 230?
    These are fine questions that I too would like definitve answer to.
    Why a Corvette (non-power) Master cylinder?
    1969 M715

I think the Corvette M/C because it is a common disc/disc set-up, whereas most others are disc/drum. The disc/disc should provide same proportioning F-R to our drum-drum setup.

Drum vs disc brakes require vastly different volume and pressure to operate - thus suing a disc/drum M/C would throw off the front-to-rear bias ,whereas the disc/disc should maintain a close-to-normal bias.

I think that is the logic behind it.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

5. Default M715 Family Curse Exposed!!

so a Disc/Disc Master Cylinder with a Power Booster is a Better set-up than a Drum/Drum Master Cylinder with a Power Booster?(for a stock wheeled 715)
    1969 M715

I believe that Spicegear is the one the started the '77 Corvette master cylinder thing. If I remember right, he went to a parts store and was looking through the available mc's. He was looking for the largest piston diameter he could get. He can tell you the exact size. The '77 Corvette with out power brakes had the largest diameter mc cylinder and it was made for a disc/disc system. That means that no proportioning valve is needed. They also fit the AMC booster and most GM boosters. They are easy to find new and cheap. I think he paid around $30.00 for his new.

If you can find a dual mc that is drum/drum with the same size pistons as the Corvette, it will be exactly the same performance. Adding a booster just makes it less pedal effort.

Sorry for jumping into your business Spicegear, but I figured you needed a rest from explaining this every two weeks.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I been reading this thread with great interest. I too am planning to upgrade the breaks on my Kaiser. I called a local brake shop who referred me to a good custom brake shop in Southern, CA who specializes in Hot Rods, CH Topping company. http://www.chtopping.com/Home/
    They have a bunch of tech articles and offer a brake drum venting service which is supposed to keep drums cool. In the articles, this venting will give drums the same performance as disc setups, without the expense.
    Check it out.

Drums will stop a vehicle as good as disc when cold. They will heat up and you get brake 'fade'. Disc heat up also, but not as much and with not as much fade. If you are going to drive your truck at slow speeds or mostly highway, I wouldn't worry about vented drums. Doing crash stops in traffic every day will motivate you to change something.

Late '60's and early '70's Buicks had some cool finned aluminum drums. They still faded in stop and go traffic.

Driving style has a lot to do with how good your brakes work.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

If I were shopping for a drum/drum cyl. I would ask for one from a 69 chevy 20 or 30 series pickup and I think it will work with jeep booster. Spicer, I looked at a non power vette cyl and the pushrod hole was waaaaay too deep . It is made that way so rod won't slip out of cyl. Booster rod would not start to engage cyl. I got one for power brake vette with shallow pushrod hole. works with j-20booster. I don't know what is different from your setup.

Spicer extended his pushrod by an inch or an inch and a half...forget which...and that makes up the difference.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!