Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 230 Operating temp?

Default 230 Operating temp?

What normal operating temp? Mines not getting warm,hose is warm to touch but not hot,I could hold my hand on it all day.Not much pressure on the hose either,collapseable. Thinkin the t-stat has been pulled by previous owner. I've never drivin it so to speak but idling for 30 plus minutes should have done it.

185 is what the thermostat should be. Mine stayed at 183-187 and never got higher no matter how much hay or cars I pulled behind it in the summer. If the upper hose is not pressurized, you either have no t-stat or a small leak somewhere. I agree with your t-stat diagnoses. Do that first.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The thermosat specs from the manuals state:
    Starts to open 187° F
    Fully open 190° F

I run a 195 in mine, due to living in the great white north and needing more temp in the winter for heater purposes...no problems.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

speaking of thermostats, i managed to find an AC delco unit but cant seem to find a replacement gasket. any suggestions or numbers for when i raid the auto parts store tonight?
    ian
    Formerly 1967 M715 #13889

I couldnt find one either....I bought a roll of gasket material and cut my own...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

good call, i was headed in that direction...
    ian

making your own gasket is probably easiest. This thermostat gasket and cover is the same as the M38A1 and old CJ5 F head 4 cyl.
    Robert-CA

Thanks Robert...I didnt have a clue on that interchange!

I did'nt know that either.. Hummm Hurricane , Tornado....

you guys are gonna love this one: major major find: i was installing my new t-stat and was just about ready to trace out a new gasket of my own when my father in law found a drawer full of old gaskets way in the back in a dark corner of the shop. started rummaging around...found one. exact fit. brand new. flat, not dried out, no damage. added gasket dope to it. 195 degrees later-done and done. apparently 25 years ago some guy had an M715 with a plow who didnt know what he was doing and came to the shop about 3 times each year for a new cooling system. my wife's grandfather did all the installs. the thermostats got used up but he must have oredered extra gaskets. moral to the story-dont throw anything away....you may need it 25 years later.
    ian