Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pintle..

Default Pintle..

Is that just a regular pintle that I can buy from the tractorsupply store around the corner..or is it m715 specific??

It does seem to be somewhat specific if not M715 specific...the correct one has a large threaded shaft through the rear frame member with a large nut on the inide. The ones I have seen in other places are bolt on with 4 bolts. I have been told that the civvy ones of the same size are weaker...I dont know this for sure but have been told stories of non stock ones flattening out like butter under a hard pull. The stock one is rated 18,000 lbs or 9 tons...that does seem higher than equivalent sized civvy ones I have seen.

dangit.. so where would one find such a pintle?? im sorry if these are newb q's?

Not really a newbie Q on this one...its capacity is only listed in the Project Manager manual...not the maintenance manuals...

You can occasionally find one on Ebay...or if you find one someone is scrapping a truck out...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

One big difference I have noticed with the pintle on the M715 is that it is designed to turn in its mount. I suspect that its so that in off-road situations, the trailer wouldn't cause unstability in the vehicle, unlike a solidly mounted pintle. That is also why there is a grease fitting in the bottom of the frame where the pintle mounts.

There has been one of these listed on e-bay a number of times over the last few weeks. Not sure if its still there or sold, but they do come up. VPW or AB Linn may also offer them. Memphis too.

sooo.. this one I was looking at northern tool wont work??

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8811_200328811

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

That is a similar design, but you'd have to cut a larger hole in your rear frame. For that matter a flat flange bolt on one could be made to work too.

Between the bumperettes on the rear there should be a hole in the frame where the stock pintle mounted unless something's been modified.

well I have the hole in the back where the pintle was..

I flipped the tires for a day to see what it looked like.. they are back regular now

Actually there are 3 grease fittings...

One for the whole pintle to rotate.
    One for the jaw to open and close.
    One for the lever you lift to open the jaw.

Yes, the rotation in the pintle is for when the truck is offroad and the truck and trailer are at differing angles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/M715-M725-Pintle...QQcmdZViewItem

Im sure im going to lose this auction but..is this the correct one?

or is this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/military-pintle-...QQcmdZViewItem