Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Special

Default back at it

Finally tonight I got some work in. Kitchen and bathroom in the rental are done and time to focus on the project.

Tonight I broke down the front 60 in preparation for the swap. Took pics but forgot the camera at the shop.

The plan is to shackle flip the back, pull the original front, set new perches on the new 60, swap it in and then I can try and set in the motor.

This project is a lot of fun, I missed wrenching but I have to get going as I'm getting kicked out the the shop.

Default m725 camper

Hey Panther,
    while i'm waiting for the time and money to work on my truck I tried a little
    photoshop to see how it might look with a flippac.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3328/m725camper.png

Quote Originally Posted by wantapinz2 View Post
    Hey Panther,
    while i'm waiting for the time and money to work on my truck I tried a little
    photoshop to see how it might look with a flippac.

I LIKE IT! Would you like to make me one?
    That is an interesting idea. For the dimensions of the top you mocked up, you're looking at a top that is 8 feet long by 5-6 feet wide. That's very large, do you know if they make flip pacs that big or close to those dimensions? The hardware would have to be very strong to support it.

That provides to great possibilities, you could have the sleeping area over the cab, tons of headroom and have room for sitting area and storage (opposite the shower, sink, stove, frig, etc). I would seriously do that if possible.
    Last edited by Panther; April 20th, 2010 at 08:10 AM.

Ok so I'm hustling to get this thing out of the garage because he rented it to some else starting May 1st Told him I've had alot going on but that I would be out by the end of the week, that means getting this thing outside with the axles under it and motor in place.

I started with the rear and did the shackle flip.
    Then I broke down the 14 bolt, removing the drums. This was hard work as one side had a frozen drum. Then I welded on the perches and as you can see this is very tight.

It will be interesting to see how the disc brakes fit with the perch so close to the flange but I haven't heard of any problems but won't know until I order a kit.

For the front I copied Randy's idea on the pass side perch. Basically what I did was grind a little over a 1/4 slot in the stock perch and notched the drivers side perch to fit in the slot.

You can image how long this took by the dust from the grinder around it
    This is how it sits now.

In order to put the front in I need a driver side perch and a hysteer arm (coming this week).

Axle swaps are one of my favorite projects and it's amazing how easy this thing is to work on. This thing is big and heavy but everything bolts off without much trouble. Just keep in mind this thing isn't winning any beauty pageants, I'd like to clean and paint, just don't have time.

In for the subscription over here

Hey Eric, Welcome to the zone, be careful you might catch the military vehicle bug
    There are lots of cool projects and threads going on now, check em out.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    Hey Eric, Welcome to the zone, be careful you might catch the military vehicle bug
    There are lots of cool projects and threads going on now, check em out.
    WAAAAAAAAAAAY too late for that. I actually saw an ad for one of these very rigs not too far from me just yesterday and it took a LOOONG time staring at it to realize that there's no freaking way I can get into it.

There's one that tools around the Silver Lake Sand Dunes here that makes me drool every time I see it. One of these to do up like you're doing and a 715 for my pickup truck... someday.
    Someday owner of a sweet 715

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post
    WAAAAAAAAAAAY too late for that. I actually saw an ad for one of these very rigs not too far from me just yesterday and it took a LOOONG time staring at it to realize that there's no freaking way I can get into it.

There's one that tools around the Silver Lake Sand Dunes here that makes me drool every time I see it. One of these to do up like you're doing and a 715 for my pickup truck... someday.
    Yes that must be this one One Bad M725

That's the one. It looks even meaner in person.
    Someday owner of a sweet 715

Another Michigan member