Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: vrod02 : Best tire?

Default elwenil :

Re: Best tire?
    Post by elwenil on Oct 23, 2006, 9:39am

I looked at my XLs and while a few of them do have a little bit of cracking, I think it is more from the stress of the extra thick carcass flexing than dry rot. I have a nice set of BFG ATs and they even have the same cracks in them and they aren't that old at all. Also, the XLs are designed for an armored vehicle and I'm quite sure will stand up to just about anything a 715 can throw at them. That's just my opinion but I have seen this a lot especially on older bias ply tires like Ground Hawgs (yuck) and similar crap.

Last time I checked with Michelin, the XLs were no longer produced since they were phased out in favor of the XZL which I think is still the current production.

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Oct 23, 2006, 10:23am

You have to get them out of Canada - they aren't available in the U.S. anymore.

The small 'cracks' - you have to remember these are load range E tires. The walls of the tire are thick!!

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Oct 23, 2006, 11:09am

Frank, where are you located, that would help us point you in the right direction for purchasing a set.

Default fastfrankie :

Post by fastfrankie on Oct 23, 2006, 12:24pm

I live in New Jersey right outside Philadelphia. If I have to spend $800 on any tires, they better be like new with absolutely no dry rot or tiny (almost invisible to the eye) cracks.
    I would rather spend $600 and get brand new Power King Super Tractions/Spur Grips fresh out of the mold in 9.00-16.

I looked at two sets in the last year (XL's) and even though they were like new and on sweet trucks, they already were in the dry rot infancy. I am a bit fanatical...I know even with the tiny cracks, the XL's could last 10 years....but I just can't come to terms of spending almost a grand between tires, new tubes, and mounting tires that are several years old, and are starting to break down/rot. Just my opinion. I want something fresh...new...maybe the XZL's are a better option for me.
    Anyone know someone on the east coast in my area with XZL's etc? LOL

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Oct 23, 2006, 12:42pm

We'll keep an eye on my XLs. I'll let you know as soon as they're shot.

I think a set of Grip Spurs would do nicely, but they don't come any bigger than the stock NTDs. Interco makes tires roughly the same size as XLs, but usually too wide to mount on stock rims and I hear they wear incredibly fast. I'd heard nothing but good things about the XLs/XZLs, other than some distant (and now current) concerns about dry rot/cracking; they fit the stock rims like a glove; and look perfect in those big wheel wells. But in the end, to each his/her own.

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on Oct 23, 2006, 6:01pm

Frank, there was a guy in Woodbridge who sells military tires too.

I found him on ebay, but don't remember the user name right now.

He said he'd be fine with me coming by and looking at stuff before I bought them.

Hope that helps.

Default vrod02 :

Post by vrod02 on Oct 23, 2006, 7:51pm

Allrighty then I'm sold. Who's got a set in the Midwest?

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Oct 23, 2006, 8:21pm

Check your pm.

Default vrod02 :

Post by vrod02 on Oct 24, 2006, 8:54pm

Well now that I bought a set off ebay who's got the skinny on Tubes and Flaps?radial.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Oct 25, 2006, 12:00am

Do a search. Barrman and PC have the scoop, they sent me in the right direction. They'll be along soon.