Thread: Trailworthy wheels not concentric?

Default Trailworthy wheels not concentric?

Hey all,

I'm sure I'm not the only one running re-centered humvee wheels from Trailworthy. I was wondering if anyone experience and balance / concentricity issues with theirs? I'm having a problem where my wheels visibly wobble while driving (feels great too...). I've put the rear end in the air and let the wheels spin with zip tie on a jack stand acting as my rough concentricity gauge. the zip tie will loose contact with the wheel rim by ~2mm for half the rotation. So a few questions:

1) M715 wheels are lug centric correct?

2) if the brake drum is fully seated with new center screws, it should be ok right? (measured ok with my rudimentary indicator)

3) Trailworthy has mentioned maybe the wheel halves didn't go together flat. is there a good way to assemble humvee wheels flat to each other? I did a progressive criss cross with the 12 bolts.

4) is it just part of running these things? I know they're off road only but I would hope the wheels were welded together with a good enough jig to have the wheel center concentric on the rim.

Thanks for any info. I'm currently trying to troubleshoot this with Trailworthy. I'll update this post if I figure out what my problem is.

@hayeselmotors

@hayeselmotors

All wheels act the same way? Do you know anyone with a large micrometer or measuring device that will go over the rim? That is to say, is there a way to accurately measure the thickness of the rim from inside edge to to outside?

I don't know anyone that has a large micrometer like that. The others do it to a degree so I'm not sure if this really is my issue. I'm also not 100% sure it's not because they're double bead locks.

@hayeselmotors

I am just spitballing. Wheels should be completely symmetrical no matter what. Otherwise they will cause the wobble.

I assume that you trouble-shot down to knowing it's the rims that are wobbling and not the drums.

It seems clear that something on the wheels are making them wider on one side than the other. Maybe measure the width of the rim in 12 places around the outside diameter of the rim and mark those places with a paint pen? Then document the widths.

Are all the rims all the same? Then you would know if it's a design feature. If not, then you will know exactly which rims have wide places on them.

Again, I am just offering ideas to help isolate the problem.

thanks for the ideas! they are all the same wheel. I really don't want to dismount the tire if I don't have to. these things are very labor intensive to reassemble from what I've read. I'll see what the manufacturer says tomorrow.

@hayeselmotors