Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil filling it up, best oil

Yeah...it does....seems there is some kind of old mil motor that was that way too...seems I have heard stories...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

BTW, I used Rotella in my truck the first time. A little later, I put regular 10W30 in it and it would briefly smoke when you revved it up after it was idling for a while. Didn't do that with the Rotella. However.... My 1968 truck in Germany burned oil like it was free. Back then, they said that it was valve seals. I had new seals, but they never got put on the truck.

My present truck, 1969 with 14,000 miles (according to the odometer) does not use much if any oil. Maybe they changed the seals at one time; maybe they used different seals in 1969. But I will continue to use Rotella.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    The two bolt thing sounds to me like a gear box, transmission, transfer case of something of that nature.

Maybe I'm wrong though.
    I think you may have come up with the solution, Don.

That doesn't say much for his buddy the "mechanic" if so.

Someone on IFSJA posted pictures of their worn cam and lifters. Rotella was mentioned. Glad to see this and hopefully it will be common knowledge soon just like the horrors of Fram anything. Gosh that felt good to say that.

Here is a cut and paste of my reply. Please forgive my coffee intake. It affects the severity of my posting.

Some additives don't work as advertised and reduce protection. If you just use high ZDDP oils you will never need additives. After a week of late night reading and learning a bit about this, I will never use additives. I changed the oil in every older engine here. Valvoline VR1 10W30 is the best value with high zinc and phosphorus. There are several oils out there that have the ZDDP needed and vary in price and availability. There is also 6 months of reading about oil that could be done and not even touch the bulk of it.
    Every single J truck and Wagoneer on this board and everywhere else in the world should be running high ZDDP oil for the style of cam and lifters we have.
    And there is some conversation over at the M715 zone that is regarding Rotella and using it in gas motors. It is a good choice and so is VR1.

ZDDP plates out and coats parts with a glass like coating that provides the protection against wear. This process happens with heat and operation of the engine. It must be maintained with continual use of high zinc oil.
    ZDDP was cut way back in the 80's because it killed catalytic converters. Roller camshafts also don't suffer these problems.

The engine builder that did my Buick 350 ( the cam was flatter than a pancake and galled) recently told me that he is seeing modern built engines coming in for rebuilds with excess wear. Especially the wrist pins. He contributes it to low ZDDP. Oil manufacturers claim their current oil formulations are backwards compatible to these earlier high ZDDP oils. They are not. Thousands of motorheads posting wear problems on forums don't lie. The oil of today does not help or sustain these early engines. And according to the engine builder I have great conversations with, it does not help modern engines either.

So yep, new cam and lifters and some high ZDDP oil and everything will be fine. Try to find Johnson lifters. They should be made in USA and not china.
    That is coming from the engine builder guy.