Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Front Turnsignal Light Adapter Rings ?

Default Feeler: Front Turnsignal Light Adapter Rings ?

In my pursuit to mount new turn signal lights into the front grill of my modified J10-M715 truck, I came up with this plan to make adapter rings that would bolt directly into the holes provided and receive a standard rubber grommeted or bolt in style light assembly like you see on most commercial trucks and trailers. The rings would be 7" OD, and 4.5" ID, with 1/4 holes to line up with the existing M715 grill. Anyway, I got a local Laser Cutter to quote me on making them, but found thay had a minimum order size which made it impractical for me to do just one set.

My costs would be the same whether I get 1 set or 10.

If I ordered 10 sets, would anyone have an interest in buying some from me for about $20 per set?

Here's a drawing of what the rings would look like and a sample of the lights I purchased.

Here's a shot of the front of my truck to give you an idea of the hole I'm trying to fill:

I'm in. I actually made my own out of aluminum diamond plate and a jigsaw. They turned out ok but if you got someone to make them, put me down for a set. The diamond plate looked pretty cool to so you might consider that. But I am in for the steel as well.

I'm thinking these may also work as a trim ring around a stock M715 front light, but I'm not exactly sure how much clearance they would have around the light. Or maybe with a little filing or notching they could be made to fit. If I had access to an original M715 with lights I could probably modify the design to fit the originals as well as look clean with the proposed trucker style lights.

I like the idea. Mine has old bright yellow "flashing" lights the Fire Department put in poorly, and now they don't work, and they look like.... Someone then later mounted fender mount turn signals that hang off the side of the front fenders. These also look like...

Is there a way to put a "blind" bolt on the back side to mount the ring so the ring is "clean/smooth" on the outside? There has to be a way to mount those lights in such a way that it looks like they were origionally designed that way at the factory. Keep us informed; I bet many of us would like a solution to these lights.

My $.02,
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

Got my new front turn signal lights in the mail today. Got them new on Ebay for $10 for the pair.
    Here's the hole I need to fill:

Here's the mocked up cardboard ring with a rubber grommeted style trucker light fixture

Here's the assembly mocked up in the grill: I think they will turn out pretty good.

looks nice
    1968 M715
    1968 M725

Smile turn signals

I did the same with led's, only used three holes.Looks clean!

Not to steal your thunder, but I already did this way back in the day. I had them laser-cut. I still have a couple of sets rolling around in the shop. There are lots of folks here and on IFSJ that have them. PM me if are interested, I can save you the machining hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by MJCougler View Post
    Is there a way to put a "blind" bolt on the back side to mount the ring so the ring is "clean/smooth" on the outside? There has to be a way to mount those lights in such a way that it looks like they were origionally designed that way at the factory.
    There are actually several ways to do this:

1) you can drill the hole slightly smaller than necessary and tap the sheet metal using no nut.

2) tek or other self-tapping sheet metal screw.

3) modern body clips. these are commonly available and would work slightly better than drilling/tapping the sheet metal.

4) I had my front clip completely torn down for paint. The front fascia comes off. I mounted my lights, bolted the trim rings on, then tack-welded the nuts on the back side of the fascia before painting.

5) In retrospect, I wouldn't even bolt it. I'd just use the screw holes on the plate and spot weld it on the front. Once you make the conversion, no real reason to take them back off.