Thread: 8100 Vortec swap

Default 8100 Vortec swap

Been a while since I've posted anything here. Have had a lot going on.
    Anyway, picked up an 8.1 liter gen 7 big block with computer and harness. Going to mate it to a SM465/Np205.
    I guess it's more correct to say 8100 Chevy Vortec. Dam thing is 800 pounds dry and is 496 cubic inch. I'm hoping to be finished with the truck by at least this time next year but we'll see.
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

Sounds neat. Make sure and look at where the serpentine set up puts the components. The M715 has very little room near the radiator between the frame rails.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

True. I may have to fab up something different for clearances. Definitely going with an electric fan though.
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

I'll baby sit ya on the belt/rad interference.... My cummins snuck in front but I'll be doing electric pusher fans... your ECM already has the temperature switches build right in and can control those too automatically.

5.3LSx Vortec into my 1966 C-10 pretty much cut teeth.

Cold starts on an EFI vortec will make you smile and your now useless choke cable
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Very cool! I never turn down assistance. This will be my first experience installing a computer controlled engine. Done lots of old school engines though.
    I was thinking with the torque curve of this motor it should be a beast.
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

Google Larry and 8.1. He has a very good write up on swapping 8.1's into his Chevy K10. I know he is on expeditionportal and the k5 websites. It's on the ck5 forum.
    Last edited by glenn; November 15th, 2017 at 09:18 PM.

When you find Larry online. Be in a comfortable chair, have snacks available and you might make it through one of his builds before you have to use the restroom. If you try reading all of his builds. I suggest adult diapers.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Yeah but he has so much good info.
    lol I'm going to tare into the wiring tomorrow. I'm in the middle of a complete teardown of the truck. Got everything off but the cab and it should be coming off soon.
    I needed a new engine as mine crapped out finally. Found this 8.1L intriguing so I picked one up. I've got a SM465 and NP205 but am going to retain the stock axles. It's going to be a mess for a while but hopefully it comes together in the end.
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

There are a few people out there that will do a standalone engine harness modification and tune on the ECM for reasonable money....Not sure how the 8.1 revs, but as long as you don't do burnouts or want to go fast, stock axles should be OK
    Is that real money?