Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power steering pitman arm

This is the first I have heard about the Durango box / Bronco pitman. Does it bolt up as nicely as the saginaw or does it take some fabrication? Does that Bronco pitman work well for high steer?

Quote Originally Posted by rambler247 View Post
    This is the first I have heard about the Durango box / Bronco pitman. Does it bolt up as nicely as the saginaw or does it take some fabrication? Does that Bronco pitman work well for high steer?

I think it turns out to be the same as the M715....

If you go to Summitracing / jcwhitney / rock auto etc... the pitman arm for a 79 bronco is the same arm for a full size jeep 1974 - 1990ish.... you can get a drop arm for a bronco and it would work for a 715....

do your own homework but this is the path im researching more when it comes time.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Smile

Hey all, new member here. I picked up a M715 a couple months ago and converted it over to power steering using a Saginaw 800 "76" in prep for getting re-centered humvee wheels and tires. All is good but I had a question on the pitman arm. Is the recommended one from BJs the way to go and is it longer than the stock manual arm? I hear lots of complaints about poor turning radius and the word on here is a longer arm is the way to go. Is this my best and budget friendly option?

Off topic, is there a thread on here to post some pics and info on my current project? Other car forums usually have a "garage" where you can post pics etc on your project. Just post a new thread? Just trying to get the ins and outs of this place and see some other members projects.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf1980 View Post
    Hey all, new member here. I picked up a M715 a couple months ago and converted it over to power steering using a Saginaw 800 "76" in prep for getting re-centered humvee wheels and tires. All is good but I had a question on the pitman arm. Is the recommended one from BJs the way to go and is it longer than the stock manual arm? I hear lots of complaints about poor turning radius and the word on here is a longer arm is the way to go. Is this my best and budget friendly option?

Off topic, is there a thread on here to post some pics and info on my current project? Other car forums usually have a "garage" where you can post pics etc on your project. Just post a new thread? Just trying to get the ins and outs of this place and see some other members projects.
    I think the turning radius limitation does not come from the pitman arm, but from the knuckles in the front axle. Welcome.

Too short of an arm could stop you from hitting full lock at the knuckles but i think it would have to be pretty extreme.

So will the fsj or bronco arm work with my saginaw 800 and stock steering rods? Not sure what my ps box came off of, probably a 70/80s jeep. Not the newer Dakota snow plow box previously mentioned. Would be a lot cheaper than the one from BJs, $50 after shipping.

I remember posts from the early days of the zone that the Ford arm is a little longer and gives a better turning circle...I believe that was the arm that the guy in Texas used to do the conversions for the Alaska pipeline...which included a V8...power steering with the Ford Bronco arm...and heater with hard top...among other things.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks for extra info. I will check into either the Bronco or fsj arm and update with how it fits. And post some updated part numbers.

I ordered an early 80s Bronco pitman arm. Definitely not a direct replacement. It's about an 1" shorter than my "stock" one and the tapered tie rod end is smaller than my tie rod. The PS box end does fit my Saginaw 800 "76" box. It was a Moog #K8755 knock off from ebay.

Luckily it was only $20 so I'm thinking about fabbing my own from the two. At least to get it around the yard for the time being.