Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: maddawg308 : Flying lock rings off the rims

Default elwenil :

Re: Flying lock rings off the rims
    Post by elwenil on Aug 10, 2006, 7:34am

Agreed, it can be done by yourself but the danger is very real. Attention to detail can save your life. A tire shop can do them in most cases but with me, they won't touch them so I have to do them myself or transport them 60 miles to another shop. Wrap a good sized chain around the rim and tire through the holes in the rim. Not just one loop, but through several or all of them and secure it with a bolt. The military recommends a clip on chuck with a remote fill valve at least 10' from the chuck. Clip on the chuck, flip the rim face down and fill it up from a distance. I think most guys will flop the rim down on it's face a few times to make sure nothing is going to fly apart. It can be done safely, you just have to take the proper precautions. Remember that this design was used because it is possible to mount tires in the field.
    And just to impress on you the force involved, about 12 years ago there was a guy near here that had apparently laid the rim face against a wall thinking that would protect him. It came apart and hit him and slit his throat to the bone. He bled to death before anyone could even make it to a phone.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Aug 10, 2006, 7:46am

Around here the tires shop won't touch them for less than $60 a tire. I don't have that kind a scratch so I did it my self. Nothing to it. Is there a danger, yes, can it be avoided, yes. Once the the ring is seated I fliped it over and jumped up and down on it and then put on a locking chuck. Turn the tire lock ring side down on the ground and then fill. Once the tire seats the danger is over. When it was filled I did bounce it and drop it on the lockring a few times on the concrete (covered with cardboard so I won't mess up my new paint job) and all is well. I have no fears of doing it, but that is me.

Default alosix :

Post by alosix on Aug 10, 2006, 7:58am

Ok, so what are we looking at tools wise to do this in the field?
    I've got 4 to do shortly. It would be easier to do them on site than to pull the wheels or take the M725 to a tire shop.

Jason

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 10, 2006, 8:48am

This is THE way:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=splitrim_change
    Last edited by brute4c; December 21st, 2009 at 02:45 PM.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Aug 10, 2006, 9:22am

Hardest part is getting the old tires off. After 40 years they don?t go willingly. I used the high lift jack, 4030 John Deere, and 2 still would not budge. Final answer was the man?s tool???SAWSALL. Cut the bead and tire came off.
    On reinstalling the tire take your time. Go slow. Lube the tire bead well so it will seat and not wedge crossways. Make sure the rim and lock ring or clean and you should not have a problem. Once the tire bead is seated against the lock ring it is almost impossible for it to come off. NEVER STAND OVER THE TIRE WHILE INFLATING. Tire cage (Best way to go), chain or face down (not that safe, if it comes off it still will go somewhere). I have done lock ring rims for years and never had one come off yet, however I have see others that have.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Aug 10, 2006, 9:24am

Well here's what worked for me. I pulled the valve cores to let the air out. Then I placed the tire under the kaiser frame, and used a jack to push down on the tire to un-seat the bead. Lots of wd40 helps. once the tire was off the bead, I used a large screwdriver to pull the lock ring up, then used a crowbar to go around the rim. Once apart I cleaned up the rim. To install I placed the tube in the tire and put a little air in the tube to give it shape and to make sure it wasn't bunched up.(sometimes I had to pull the core to let air back out.) Then I'd drop the can into the tire. After that I put the flap in. Then I put the lock ring on. I put chains around the tire and rim opposite of the slit in the lock ring. That way, if it pops off the can, it just hinges. Finally inflate. This is a quick reply and isn't the most exact account. If you have more questions feel free to contact me.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 10, 2006, 9:34am

Once you do the first one, you will fully understand what is needed. You will also realize that while they can be dangerous, our rims are pretty fool proof. As long as the ring is seated correctly and the tire bead covers the ring, it is almost impossible for it to come off on its own. You will see this demonstrated while trying to break down the tire. Very hard to get the ring off unless the tire is about 1/2" further toward the middle of the rim than the lock ring. That puts the bead about 2" from where it is seated under pressure.

Make sure you clean all the rust off your rims and lock rings before you put them together. Besides looking better and preventing corrosion. The smoother the rim and lock ring is, the better it goes together and the better it comes apart the next time you have to break it down.

Default pistolnut :

Post by pistolnut on Aug 10, 2006, 9:55am

If you talk to tire people and old mechanics, everyone knows or knows of someone who has been killed by these things. The danger is very real. I nearly killed myself with one of mine because I was doing something dumb and not following the proper procedure. I got a big lump and a gash on my head to drive the point home. There is nothing complicated about mounting tires on these wheels safely, but if you've never done it or never seen it done, take one or two to a shop that does agricultural or big truck tires and watch how its done. In my experience, frequently they don't take all of the precautions that they should, but you'll get the basic idea and see some tricks that will help. When you go home to do the rest yourself, you will be much better prepared. Make sure that you follow all of the safety precautions though. Lock rings can come off with enough force to take your head clean off. I was lucky.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Aug 10, 2006, 11:04am

I do believe there is a different style of lock ring that is the notorious 'killer lock ring" and it's not the style on our trucks.

For field repairs, two screwdriver tip tire irons and a jack are all you should need, assuming the tires are reasonably new and have been off the wheel somewhat recently. The lock ring has two notches - one near the split and one a few inches beyond that so you can catch the tip of the tire iron and pry the ring out of its seat. from there you can walk the ring out as you go around. In practice it should take less than 10 minutes to swap a tube.

Chris

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 10, 2006, 1:31pm

IT AMAZES ME HOW FAR PEOPLE WILL GO TO TRY TO KILL THEMSELFS ALL TO SAVE 50.00 TO 100.00 BUCKS. WHY DO YOU THINK PROFESSIONAL TIRE SHOPS DONT WANT TO FOOL WITH SPLIT RIMS ?? ALSO ITS AMAZEING TO SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL INSTALL A TUBELESS TIRE ( MICHELIN LAV TIRE ) ON A TUBE TYPE RIM. AND SAY IT WORKS PERFECT WHEN THEY CAN SEE THE SIDEWALL OF THE TIRE IS UP AGAINST THE EDGE OF THE RIM AS THERE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IN ALL WAYS. DRIVE ON !!!!