Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 230 Distributor Problem(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    I have a puller you can borrow if you need one, I just pulled mine to remove replace the seal and should not need it right away.
    Thank you very much. If I can't come up with a local option, I'll probably have to take you up on that.

If I can't come up with some good weather, it won't matter anyway. 12 degrees out.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    New weak link exposed...sorry to hear this...
    Is there a way to prevent this from happening by somehow making a stop that prevents the pin from moving out...thinking it might be a good safety thing for stock ignition trucks...
    Jon, I haven't verified that's the problem, but the signs are pointing in that direction. Maybe some loctite on those pins, or staking them?

I'll have a better idea after I locate the necessary gaskets, puller, & good weather.

It is a balancer, has a rubber insulator between the hub and the outside. I think that just about any balancer puller works. (They also pull steering wheels!)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    It is a balancer, has a rubber insulator between the hub and the outside. I think that just about any balancer puller works. (They also pull steering wheels!)
    Good to know, Don-- thank you.

I can check that one off my list.

I took one off with a standard puller I have and have used for years...no sweat there...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I took one off with a standard puller I have and have used for years...no sweat there...
    Excellent-- thank you Jon.

Another question: does the head have to come off to remove the timing chain cover? The answer isn't clear to me in manuals I've looked at.

Also: does the oil pump have to come off to remove that cover?

Not clear to me once again, and that would be one less gasket I'd have to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    Also: does the oil pump have to come off to remove that cover?

Not clear to me once again, and that would be one less gasket I'd have to find.
    The correct procedure is to remove the oil pump first.
    It's possible that the drive gear can slide off of the crank as the cover/oil pump is being removed as an assembly.

But, you wouldn't be able to reinstall the timing cover with the oil pump attached to it, so you might as well take it off now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    Excellent-- thank you Jon.

Another question: does the head have to come off to remove the timing chain cover? The answer isn't clear to me in manuals I've looked at.
    The head does not have to come off to remove the timing cover.

Here is my engine block with the head installed ready to accept the timing cover.

Many thanks, Dan! Any information I can get about this task is much appreciated: since the truck is sitting out in the open, I'll need to get it done quick as I can.

Do you have to know of a source for individual engine gaskets?