Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana 70 35 spline spider gears

Default Dana 70 35 spline spider gears

Hello,
    How difficult is it to get spider gears for a M715 D70 carrier, but in 35 spline? Are these readily available?

Also, can I change the yoke in that D70 to a 1410 without having ot replacing the crush sleeve? Is there anything else involved?
    Thanks,
    Mikel

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Hello,
    How difficult is it to get spider gears for a M715 D70 carrier, but in 35 spline? Are these readily available?

Also, can I change the yoke in that D70 to a 1410 without having ot replacing the crush sleeve? Is there anything else involved?
    Thanks,
    Mikel
    i could be all wet here, but as far as i know the dana axles for the most part use pinion preload shims. once they are set, they are set. you can pull the yoke as much as you want. i would change the seal and always use a new pinion nut. as for crush sleeve style, you can leave the sleeve, you just have to be carefull not to over crush it when you re-install the yoke. i have done this to more than one rig, and i am not sure how correct it is, but i haven't had any issues with it.
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

Most d70 spider gears are already 35 spline, so that should be an easy junk yard find.
    Only thing, is the hole in the side large enough? About 99% sure it is, but something to check on.
    As for the yoke, I have done it a number of times without issue.
    Get a new pinion nut when you put the yoke on. Even though I have reused those, they are supposed to be a 'one time only' kind of thing.
    I do KNOW that reused ones always end up loosening up on me though. Took a couple times of tightening it, for it to finally dawn on me

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Most d70 spider gears are already 35 spline, so that should be an easy junk yard find.
    Only thing, is the hole in the side large enough? About 99% sure it is, but something to check on.
    As for the yoke, I have done it a number of times without issue.
    Get a new pinion nut when you put the yoke on. Even though I have reused those, they are supposed to be a 'one time only' kind of thing.
    I do KNOW that reused ones always end up loosening up on me though. Took a couple times of tightening it, for it to finally dawn on me
    Hello,
    I believe the splines in the M715 23 sp shafts are 1.500" in diameter, same as the 35 spline shafts, so the hole should not be a problem.
    Thanks,
    Mikel

The stock axle is 1.375 as just measured in my shop...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The stock axle is 1.375 as just measured in my shop...
    At the splines or at the shaft?

Shaft...hmmm...will measure the splines...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Yep, you are correct!
    Little bit of widening just before the splines...1.5 inch diameter in the last 2 inches or so.

Whew, I was hoping that was the case.
    I remember that they necked down a bit, but I couldn't remember if the hole in the carrier was the same.
    I know that WillieM715 had done this swap like 10 years ago. And he said it all just bolted in. But I couldn't remember if there were any parts he needed to modify.

So, what would you get the axle shafts from? or is this strictly a custom axle shaft deal?