Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M715 Dana 60 and normal Dana 60 ?

Default M715 Dana 60 and normal Dana 60 ?

Is the ring and pinion out of a normal dana 60 interchangeable with that out of the closed knuckle dana 60 found in these M715?

Check out randys ring and pinion.
    Randy's Ring & Pinion
    10411 Airport Road SE
    Everett, WA 98204.
    Customer Service Toll Free: 1-800-292-1031
    I'm pretty sure your locked into stock 5.87, 4.56 and I believe 4.88 is also out there.

Hope this helps
    Cliff

The reason I ask is because I have the opp to swap my closed knuckle out with a normal 60 with disc brakes, just want to know if I will be able to swap the gears in or if I have to buy new ones.

The axes splines and diameter on the M715 D60 are different than the splines and diameter on the other one...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I understand the axle issue, but will the ring bolt to a normal 60 carrier and will the pinion work in the normal 60? I have been told yes and no, depends on who you talk to. Was thinking someone here might have already tried this as an easy upgrade.

I swapped a ‘93 Dodge front 60 into my M715. I pulled the carrier, ring and pinion from the Kaiser, swapped the spider gears from the Dodge into the Kaiser carrier and dropped it in the newer 60. I set the backlash and gear contact pattern and it works like a charm. I could not do the same with the rear 70 as my Dodge unit is a 70HD where the M715 unit is not.

Seddons so you ended up with a 35 spline axle with 5.87 ratio. Disk brakes and what 8 bolt wheels? Hum

That is exactly what I ended up with. The only down side to doing this is the older ring/pinion and carrier are not as strong as the newer 60’s. I also moved my springs under the frame to match the spring pads on the Dodge axle and can now use pre 90’s Chevy springs.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The carrier is the same, but.......there is a carrier split from 4.10 to 4.56 as I just found out, so if you opt for a new carrier keep that in mind.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

What did your WMS to Wms work out to? I'm just finishing up a complete rebuild on a stock 715 dana 60. Mainly because the parts are dirt cheap.
    But you have me wondering. Now that I know the 35 spline spiders will drop right in. and from what I can tell from info from a earlier post. looks like and I may be wrong and I'm sure someone on here has already though about this and will set me stright = please do. But anyway here goes. Looks like a 78 f-350 dana 60 front has the correct axle length. 35 splins inner shafts but with 30 spline hubs. If this is true all i'll have to do is machine for the needle bearings in axle and spindles. That is if the machined surfaces are in the same locations?

Thoughts?

Cliff