Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.56 gears w/230?

Default 4.56 gears w/230?

Has anyone swapped out their axle gears for 456 and kept the 230 engine? I was wondering how the power was effected. I have to think the truck would become gutless, needing the creeper gear to get it going.

you,ll be ok where you live. you dont have no hills in MI. HEALIN UP GOOD BOGHOG ?
    BOB

Slowly Im getting back to where I can work on my truck. Thanks to my friends and my sons, who come over to help almost on a daily basis my truck is coming together. I have had to remove the 4" lift springs, went to stock 3/4 ton springs. Reality has set in, I have to lower it again, I am going to put the axles on top of the springs I have now, that will give me a height of about 2.5" over stock m-715 height. That way I can use the truck. I saw the Doctor the other day and he gave me a pic of the hardware in my back, 6 bolts (look like lag bolts), and two rods attached to the heads of the bolts. Titanium he said, $6,000 a piece, he said also the groth hormone stuff that he mixed with my bone material to pack into the disc space was $5,000 for a tiny little container about the size of one of those cream containers you get for your coffee. I am up to 3 to 4 hours of time that I can spend working then I have to lie down. The amount of time is increasing, when I first went out to the garage I lasted 3/4 of an hour then I was in bed for a day and a half.
    I was planning on taking some pics to put up on the board here soon. It will give me some motovation to get going and push myself a bit more. The tailgate turned out great and is on the bed, it has everything on it except the Jeep letters, it looks great!
    Sorry for rambling on. Thanks for that input .I just dont want to be too under powered if I switch to 456's on my truck I want to set up for parades.

Hey man.... this is as good a place as any to ramble!

Did you build the tail gate? Or find a new one? I am contemplating building one up since I have had no luck finding one close by.
    Go Ahead, Make my day

Blog Entries

I have. I have a stock truck with a few exceptions:
    - 4:56
    - front locking hubs
    - civi fuel pump

Cruises at 55-60MPH no problem. You do have to use 1st to get it going. I've done it in 2nd, but would not advise it. I live in Florida so I have few "mountains" to deal with. I run parades just fine. 1st is still plenty low.

glad your healin good, dont push it betterto heal properly. m715 will be there......
    bob

Quote Originally Posted by teking View Post
    I have. I have a stock truck with a few exceptions:
    - front locking hubs
    - civi fuel pump

Cruises at 55-60MPH no problem. You do have to use 1st to get it going. I've done it in 2nd, but would not advise it. I live in Florida so I have few "mountains" to deal with. I run parades just fine. 1st is still plenty low.

Wow! very nice truck. So its not to bad to run the 456 gears with the 230. thats good news.
    Thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries

Forgot ... I also have a Corvette MC w/ braided stainless lines. I did these mods so that the truck would be drivable on the road. Still great in parades since 1st is still low.

so .....

I have a stock truck with a few exceptions:
    - front locking hubs
    - civi fuel pump
    - Corvette MC
    - Braided Stainless brake lines

Quote Originally Posted by ColHart View Post
    Hey man.... this is as good a place as any to ramble!

Did you build the tail gate? Or find a new one? I am contemplating building one up since I have had no luck finding one close by.
    I got one of Bob's reproduced, double thickness, tailgate. I got a set of the tarp tie downs, from a guy out west, he said he took them off of a m-35 cab and didnt need them, he gave them to me for just the postage, Sorry I cant remember his name to give him credit, I erased all my messages, (we can only have so many in our file). I would try to go back and search but between the 5 second edit rule and the fact I cant get my searches to work for s&*t, well, lets just say there are a lot of guys on this board that help out. So if you need something, put a notice up in the wanted section.
    As for the tailgate, I started to build my own, I used 2"x4" steel tubing for the top, and for the two up rights, 2"x2" sq. tubing for the bottom all tubing was 1/8" I tried to get 1/16", but that was all I could get my hands on. I had an old J-20 gate that I cut out the center section for the jeep logo, but after welding up the gate and getting the thing sandblasted the letters were so far gone I decided not to go any further with it. I had a short piece of pipe welded into the end of each side of the bottom square tube and it fit on the stock tailgate mounts for a J-10 that I had welded to some angle iron, that was then welded to the rear of the bed. I had even cut the right side piece of pipe to resemble the stock J-10 tailgate release slot, so I could open the gate half way and remove it. It was way too heavy, if you build one try to use material as close to the stock gate as possible.
    All this also happen to coincide with Bob making a trip up here to MI. I was going to set him up with a t-case, (that turned out to be junk) he was going to several places up here ,so I had him throw on one of his t-gates. I also won a set of 4 top and lower hinges on E-bay for about half of what VPW wants for them, in fact I think it was VPW that put them up for auction. Thats not a bad way of getting an idea on what the market will pay for items that you have to sell multiple pieces of. Any way, the t-gate took some work to put together, as all things do. The thing I find amazing is after the hooks, paint, reflectors, and the rubber bumpers, you dont miss the Jeep logo.
    I think it would stick out some if I were to park next to another M-715, but standing alone, I think it goes unnoticed.

Hey teking, that looks like a MI plate not a FLA plate.