Thread: 24v ro 12v gauge question

Default 24v ro 12v gauge question

I am reaching for straws here, but SW lists 12v and 24v sending units, has anyone tried using the 12v sending unit on a 24 volt gauge to see if its converts it, I am sure it doesnt but was just asking. if I had one I would just try it.

Duane

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

If you can find the resistance specs for both senders and compare them, it might work if they are the same.

The only issue I can see though would be the fact that because most electric gauges are sent a variable ground signal by the sender, then the gauge would have to be either 24V or 12V respectively, so most likely what you want to do wouldn't work. Also, you would still need a replacement charging gauge because it is designed as a 24V meter.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

yes, I have a 12v voltmeter, was just trying to get rid of the suntune gauges , I have a complete panel with the stock gauges and was wondering if the other three gauges would work with 12v sending units, I will experiment and get back to you.....

If you are looking for a 12 volt sender o work with the mil gauge, forget it...there is none.

Closest thing is old, pre 65 GM car...they use the same scale but in reverse...so you would have to read the gauges backward to read them correctly...example:

Fuel gauge:

full tank, gauge reads empty
    ¾ tank, gauge reads ¼
    etc.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

thanks for the info, guess I will just look for the stewart warners on ebay and paint the bezels green.