Thread: robertcowan : 14 BOLT POSI ????????

Default robertcowan : 14 BOLT POSI ????????

14 BOLT POSI ????????
    Post by robertcowan on May 21, 2006, 9:00pm

Can anybody help me identify whether or not i got a posi or locker or open diff for my 14 bolt. i,ve never run one of the rears and i need a limited slip or clutch type posi. i dont want a locker as its intended for highway use 98% of the time. i can get pix if needed or casting numbers. it has 3 large pins evenly spaced aroung the center and some holes which you can stick your finger in and make some kind of fiber plates move in slightly if this helps.
    bob

Default drvnkaiserdaily :

Re: 14 BOLT POSI ????????
    Post by drvnkaiserdaily on May 21, 2006, 9:09pm

Yep. Thats a limited slip unit that you have.The plates you describe are the friction material.As far as 14 bolts go,Its one heck of a score.I have had 20 or more of these,from wreckers,4wds(and I live in oil country,lots of heavy 4 wds here)and none have been limited slips.Be sure to use the correct additive(friction modifier) in the gearlube to prevent chatter.Good score

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on May 21, 2006, 9:25pm

man you made my day !!!!!!! i was thinking it was a locker or open carrier. think i hould put new friction plates in it before i install it ?

Default drvnkaiserdaily :

Post by drvnkaiserdaily on May 21, 2006, 10:41pm

I have never done it before.I hired a local shop(who is very good) to replace mine.I was having it done on a 12 bolt chevy.When he got it apart,he found the plates(friction) were still good.Only the limited slip additive had broken down.Nice to know they are honest also.They are Schotts Repair located in Marietta Ohio.

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on May 22, 2006, 11:53am

Bob, just for general knowledge, the detroit locker for the full floater 14 bolt is VERY street friendly, especially in a full size truck. I have had them in all my trucks, and you hardly know they are there, and dont seem to wear the tires like some other diffs do.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on May 22, 2006, 8:05pm

wow, my m715 has a detroit locker and its a hard core rear end. when it ratchets it will jerk the truck. also it will eat ear tires. but its the cs meow off road. thanks for the info.
    bob