Thread: civvy hood

Default civvy hood

Will a hood off of a newer wagoneer fit on the m715. They look the same but also look smaller.

The civvy hood will fit...there are some differences though...

The early ones are like ours...there is one starting late 70's or early 80s and up that has chrome stuff on the center section, a big added on piece, that is actually beneficial. The stock hood, due to the hood latches being on the edges like the are, like to crack in the middle area. The chrome addition reinforces the hood center and prevents this.

I think there is an in between these 2 types of hood designs as well.

There is also the civilian hood latch...you might want or you might not...

The side latches, blackout hood light base and windshield holddown strap, the screwed on footman loop in the middle of the hood, can all be transferred to the civvy hoods...drill the holes and go.

The underhood braces do vary a little from early to late...might be important if you have the late style canister aircleaner mounted to the underside of the hood but I dont know that for sure...just wonder...

Vintage Power Wagons has a pile of NOS hoods in Fairfield Iowa. Not that far from St. Louis. I put one on my truck, alot easier than making a civilian hood work.

Much better to pick those hoods up than to ship....much preferred!!

Any 63-91 civilian hood will fit. No chrome added to the hoods, I think brute is talking about what is called the "hood bar". It's a cast bar that runs across the center bulge of the hood. There are two large (3/4" maybe) holes (one on each side) cut into teh hood that attach the hood bar. Not very noticable really.

Two styles of bracing was used, the chance over occured in the mid 60's. Either will bolt up to any hood. Hinges are the same. You can boto on your stock ltach to any civi hood, all the bolts holes are there (the latches changed but not the mounting points.

The best hood for an M715 would be from an early (63-78) FSJ. The later ones have rounded and wrinkled corners (at the center bulge) and don't line up right with the grille support panel.
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

I used a civvy hood on mine and used the late model hood latch plus drilled all the mil. holes and added the hood light and latches to the civvy hood. I had to cut out the place where the hood release lever went thru the support above the drivers side sheetmetal. I didnt like doing it but the added safety of the hood latch keeps the hood down and idiots out.LOL!
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715