Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24 volt generator

Default 24 volt generator

Anybody have pics of what wires go where on the generator/alt. wire 468 is obvious but which post under the cover does #5 and ground go to?

The stock alt has 3 wires total...

Under the cover:

1 large wire, #5, which is hooked to a stud under the cover with a nut, emerges from the alternator and runs to the foot starter switch and attaches to the same post the positive wire from the battery connects to.

1 small wire, 468 or 568, emerges and runs just past the cover and ends in a waterproof connector...the other side of the waterproof connector runs into the cab to a splice that slpits the wire into 2 outputs. One of these is wire #27 and plugs into the on/off switch and the other wire, also numbered as #27, feeds the spider harness which is the power to the gauges.

The ground wire hooks from the upper mount arm of the alternator, the one with the adjuster slide, on a bolt and nut, and connects to the alternator case with a bolt...near the cover on mine though there are a couple versions and this may vary slightly.

Are you saying your has 2 posts under the cover for the larger wires? Who is the manufacturer of yours? Leece Neville, Prestolite, Ford, other?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

yes , there are two studs under the cover one has a nut on it the other does not. is a prestolite I think but will have to run home and check? thanks for the info

Boyce Equi[pment sent me one recently I hooked up the 468 wire but was looking at belt alignment , decided to start it to see how my belts were aligned and the alt / gen started smoking. dont know if it was bad or because the ground and #5 wire was not attached. they sent me a new one so I did not want repeat what happened?

It seems there would be a + by the one for #5 or a G or GRD or - by the other...maybe not...

I will have to see if there is a Prestolite in my stock...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

yeah I looked for that but did not see anything. but any info would be great

I have a Prestolite NOS...sounds different that yours though...

Under the cover, a couple of small wires converge and become the 468/568 wire...there is 1 stud with a nut.

Outside the cover just to the outside edge of the cover as the alternator is mounted in the truck, is a threaded hole going down about 1/3 inch or so.

I also have another that I think is a Motorcraft/Ford type...it has the same wires under the cover, basically single stud...next to the rear of the cover on the inside edge of the cover as it is mounted in the truck is one bolt, oh about 1/2 inch head, that is the ground mounting location.

Both of these have the ground mountig just outside the cover...if that helps...I guess not though by the 2 studs you mentioned...

yes , one had a bolt just outside the cover. was assuming the ground. inside the cover there are two studs one on either side of the 468/568 wire. one has a nut on it and the other does not and the trheads on it look boogered up. do you suppose the one with the nut would be safe to assume is for #5 wire?

Mine has the stud for #5 toward the threaded hole side of the small 468/568 wire...if thats where yours is, I would go for it.

I will try to post a pic of whats under the cover of mine...might help ya...

yes it is. thanks!