Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint

Default Paint

Does anyone know the stock paint code or color and who made it?

The color depends on the branch it went to.

Gillespie Coatings offers the stock repro paint... Check AJP.
    www.armyjeepparts.com

Snuffy

Paint code for Army OD is #24087 and for Marine Corp. Green is #24052 I used Gillespie #24087 on all of my trucks and really like how they have all turned out.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    1968 M51 Inflatable Chemical Shelter System http://www.davidallenracing.com/M51.htm
    1953 Dodge M37 weapons carrier http://www.davidallenracing.com/M37.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

Default Paint

Once you decide who you want to purchase your paint from, if you are not going to paint it yourself...make sure to check with the paint shop you choose to paint it. I have found a couple shops that don't want to touch the stuff, and I am not talking about the "C.A.R.C" paint either.

Default Lot Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by halftrack78 View Post
    Once you decide who you want to purchase your paint from, if you are not going to paint it yourself...make sure to check with the paint shop you choose to paint it. I have found a couple shops that don't want to touch the stuff, and I am not talking about the "C.A.R.C" paint either.
    Also, make sure you get ONE lot number of paint. My Gillespie was mixed and you can see slight differences.

If you are starting with multiple gallons of paint it is a wise decision to box or mix them all together even if they are the same lot number and especially if they are different. This way every gallon will now be the same as the next.

Until you buy more!

Quote Originally Posted by halftrack78 View Post
    ...make sure to check with the paint shop you choose to paint it. I have found a couple shops that don't want to touch the stuff, and I am not talking about the "C.A.R.C" paint either.
    Perhaps because it used to have lead in it? I hear the Gillespie paint no longer contains lead. Probably not nearly as good as it was either....
    -- Tim Taylor

how many gallons will it take to put a couple coats on the truck?

The stuff I bought on the way home from the FE was unleaded. Paints the same and looks the same so far. Sermis painted some of his big M35 with the unleaded version. I saw last week and it looked great.

A M715 could probably be done on 3 gallons. Depending on how detailed you are and how much you take apart, 5 gallons might not be enough either. I did my M715 on the frame without taking anything besides the hood and doors off, (Well, all the lights and small stuff came off.) and I think I was just at the end of gallon #3 or starting #4. I don't remember. I do know that I just started gallon #12 last week. But, a 18' car hauler, a M35 down to the bare frame, a mini bike, a fishing boat and a M101 trailer down to the frame were all done plus the M715.

Shipping the gallon cans requires a $20 HAZMAT fee. The fee is for 1 gallon or 4 gallons. Along with anything in between. Rapco gives a discount if you buy 4 gallons which almost makes up for the hazmat fee. Buy 4 gallons and a 1/2 dozen or so of the spray cans and you should be set for many years. Unless you get the "must turn it green" disease like I did.

I actually think several of us in my area have this disease. Whenever we mention we are going to drive somewhere, the others ask "Going by RAPCO?" Kwai made a trip by there a year or so ago. I think he had the entire bed of his truck full of paint when he left. Sermis, Agengr and myself got it down to just the floor covered by the end of the day.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

My truck took 31/4 gallons.