Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting my first M715

Default getting my first M715

Hello all, I belong to IFSJA.org and have been playing around with FSJ's for about a year now. I have the opportunity to buy two M715's for a grand, plus extra trans's and tcases. What I want know is how to make one reliable vehicle. I would love to use one as a DD just to annoy my job and park it out front. One is a driver now but ugly and hacked together, the othe is a parts truck. The uglu one had no side windows, been converted to 12 volts is missing most of the dash. Eventually I may restore or restify it. What are my engine options? I have a few AMC 360's and transmissions lying around. I would love to lose the 6 cyl. Not going high tech like a diesel or anything, just looking for reliablity. Thanks Lou
    [IMG][img=http://img270.imageshack.us/img270/9509/m715frontaw0.th.jpg][/IMG]

Hello jeepfan, are you going to keep the Mad-Max look? An AMC motor w/t-18 would be as reliable as they come, and it's a bolt in. That truck would P#ss off anybody if you parked it in front. (LOL)

Wow that's um special! Yeah that would wig me off too if you parked that infront of my business... Yeah the AMC 360 and matching trans would be a good reliable plus be a bolt in. Otherwise you'de have to look at going with a GM block like SBC 350 or something of that choice and then you would need either a chebby trans or an addaptor kit, while the AMC would not need that. Good luck with your truck.

Just my opinion. I would hold off on that truck. These trucks can be picked up pretty cheap in good condition if your willing to wait and shop around. The FD trucks that I have seen have been pretty will abused. To make a daily driver or around town truck will require a very good condition stock truck or a re-power like a Chevy V8. These trucks drive like tanks, so they cannot easily be made into commuter vehicles.

I'd drive it, that thing's purty!!

I have to agree with most of the guys here, these trucks are not great daily drivers. Some make it work, and i even DD mine a lot in the summer, but I only commute 3 miles to work on all back roads. Between the gearing and basic interior that lacks any creature comforts, and 1 1/4 ton springs that ride like a brick, it can make for an uncomfortable ride for extended periods. Don't get me wrong, I love driving mine, and have gone on several hour long trips in it. But I don't think I could do it everyday, or I would end up crippled. Heck after a long parade it hell to get out and walk around to get the blood flowing again. If you want a good daily driver that you can also off-road, start with a J-truck. They are a heck of a lot easier to get parts for because they use standard parts and not oddball military parts that you can't find at the local parts places. And the have a lot more features in the cab for drivers comfort. But if you still want a 715 go for it because they are a blast to have around.

IIRC, there is a slight hitch with using a AMC v8. The 715 has a very long trans input shaft and bellhousing, and if a shorter bellhousing is used without relocating the trans, the engine will be in the firewall. However, some of the jtrucks had a long input t18. This input shaft and bellhousing can be put on the stock t98 allowing a v8 to be bolted in.

That is what was determined from a discussion about it a year or so ago, but it has never been tried as far as i know. It should work, but no gaurentee, and i would recommend verifying it before you buy the stuff.
    Last edited by 77'cj7; December 29th, 2006 at 12:02 PM.

I can check it out. I have an 81 J20 that I use as a daily driver so I'll measure. I only work about 6 miles from my house so that's not a problem. I will be losing the ektoskeleton. I only paying $500 for the one truck or a grand for both. Kinda sucks, I'm gonna sell my J20 to finance this 715 but I know alot of parts can be used on it. Still got two other grand wagoneers though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 77'cj7 View Post
    IIRC, there is a slight hitch with using a AMC v8. The 715 has a very long trans input shaft and bellhousing, and if a shorter bellhousing is used without relocating the trans, the engine will be in the firewall. However, some of the jtrucks had a long input t18. This input shaft and bellhousing can be put on the stock t98 allowing a v8 to be bolted in.

That is what was determined from a discussion about it a year or so ago, but it has never been tried as far as i know. It should work, but no gaurentee, and i would recommend verifying it before you buy the stuff.

If you're gonna take off the exoskeleton, I would maybe wait for something in better shape. If you want to scare church ladies and little children with it, I would say go for it all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by agengr View Post
    If you're gonna take off the exoskeleton, I would maybe wait for something in better shape. If you want to scare church ladies and little children with it, I would say go for it all the way.
    Actually thats the funny thing, it is in good shape despite my crappy camera phone pix. There are no rust holes, just some surface rust. Runs good.I'm not looking to restore it, it's been modified too much for that. Thje parts truck is pretty original so that may get a military make over. After looking at Novaks adapter website, this thing is getting a 360, then I will make a new dash and custom gauges. The seats have already been replaced with modern ones, so I think mostly it's a matter of stripping the paint and making it look like something. Time for the sand blaster. BTW, how strong is that closed knuckle 60 up front. I mean if these came witha whopping 150 hp, and I put in a V8, am I gonna be breaking sh*t or will it hold up?