Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vette Master Cylinder

Well fellas, I've just about had it with this vette master cylinder. Luckily, I kept my rebuilt Wagner single resevoir and am about ready to bench bleed it, reconnect my rear brakes to the block, and reconnect the 1/4" line from the m/c to brake block.
    Just for kicks, I put some brake fluid in the single one off my truck and pushed in the piston...brake fluid shot 2 feet out the side hole. If no one sheds some more light on this problem, by next weekend I will have the old one back on and return that P.O.S. vette cylinder to Autozone. I am at the end of my rope...
    Not for anything, I don't understand this...I've worked on new ABS braking systems and can't figure this simple brake problem out. Funny thing is that I've even discussed this with my ASE master tech friend and once he heard I was swapping master cyliders from other vehicles etc. he was like "why don't you just stick with what works for sure...you're asking for nothing but trouble modifying braking systems...no matter how simple it sounds..."

Something isn't right with your dual circuit mc is my thought.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Something isn't right with your dual circuit mc is my thought.
    This is the second 101371 master cylinder I have used....the first one was a Cardone and this one was remanned in Canada...I forget the brand.

What specifically do you think may be wrong Barrman? I am the furthest from a novice and have exhausted my thoughts and ideas. I am open to anymore ideas or suggestions. I even tried bleeding two lines on one side. No matter what I did, when I bled the fronts, it trickled out and the pedal never went to the floor as others have experienced the same problems as I.

I have a feeling/inkling that the others who are experiencing the same problems as I don't have much of front brakes and may think that an adjustment is all they need...which is not the case. I would venture to say that these people are using 90% rear brakes and if they are lucky, the fronts are barely making conatct with the front drums.

If the pedal isn't hitting the floor when you crack a bleeder, you have a problem and it sure isn't air trapped in the line. Even my dad who has played with cars all his life (he's 72) doesn't understand it. Neither does my buddy who is ASE master and he's been wreching for almost 20 years.

Thsi doesnt really surprise me since if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all...

If some of you want to try a drum/drum cylinder then I will offer this up as one I would try. 1970(last year for all drum) Chevy c-30 1 ton truck. They had HBA (humungus big azzed) drums all the way around. Another choice might be mid 70's 1 ton J truck as they used drums thru '73 I think. I'm still with SupaMod though, too many 'zoners have done the vette swap for it not to work.

I've done it twice using same parts. No problems and both front and rear brakes work fine. I did replace the original brake hoses with new hoses and flushed the lines. Both times I bled the MC on the truck.

To be honest, I am so disgusted I am probably going to go back to stock - at this point I can't be going to the parts store and keep ordering master cylinders and trying them, possibly returning them etc. just because they aren't working.
    Someone recommended a 1970 Impala drum/drum master and above a C30 one ton drum/drum master. I sincerely believe that the two I have tried were drum/disc master cylinders. I cant prove it but how can two do the same thing?
    Well I can't work on anything until next weekend, so I have plenty of time to think as to what I may try next. So far, the stock m/c has my vote since I know it will work.

You should be getting equal pressure out of both mc circuits. Does yours look like this?

This is mine installed on my truck. If yours is different, then I go back to the parts store gave you the wrong one. Lots of different mc's will bolt up to a specific vehicle. But, normally only one is the right part.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Barrman...both m/c's looked exactly like yours...then again, many Chevy masters look like that one from the 1970's...
    My setup looks exactly like yours - from the master cylinder to the adaptors to the lines coming off the m/c!
    Help!! LOL

I am as stumped as you are. I feel bad that we couldn't talk you through this one. I just don't know what to tell you to do.

Exactly...I am stumped as well....imagine the frustration I have been experiencing!