Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thoughts on my powertrain conversion ideas

I'm going to be using Chevy DRW D60 front and 14bolt srw rear from a van. You really need the width for the wider spring mounts on the M and tire and brake clearance. I'll be running H1'. Planning on a 6bt or a 24 valve with p pump. Nv4500 and an np205. I also have a gear vendors overdrive for a 205 for double overdrive or gear splitting. I want to be able to use 4:88 gears for stump pulling torque and still go 70 with the diesel on the double or single overdrive.

Are the axles from a 1986 F 350 good for a swap? Im not sure of the difference in the 86' front axle and those others are using from 88'-97' where the spring width is the same as the M715. I gather the 86' would be a Dana 60 solid axle, king pin I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayyj View Post
    Are the axles from a 1986 F 350 good for a swap? Im not sure of the difference in the 86' front axle and those others are using from 88'-97' where the spring width is the same as the M715. I gather the 86' would be a Dana 60 solid axle, king pin I assume?

The difference between TTB and a KingPin Dana 60 is easily visually verifiable.

Mine is a 1987 F350 SRW Dana 60 Front
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

If a ford dana 60 is 69.5 wide wms is it possible to switch out the hubs to dually hubs and also switch to dually hubs on the rear 10.25 or is it unnecessary? I want to run a 40 inch but not excessively wide tire. Can this be done without wheel spacers or hub changes with minimal backspacing on the wheels when using the ford 60 and 10.25 SRW axles?

Dually hubs will make the front wider but will affect scrub...and leverage on everything. That being said, I am planning on running dual hubs and the "sucked in" hmmwv wheels to minmize the scrub change
    Is that real money?