Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer Tool Strap Method

Default Pioneer Tool Strap Method

I apologize. I have done many searches before I did this thread. Some refer to pictures that have pioneer tools mounted. But the pictures are way too small. I have tried the TMs and have not been able to find exact instructions to mount the tools. I have two different size straps. One of the longer straps seems to be correct for the left side of the handles of the axe and mattock. The other ones just don't make sense. I know that my mattock head has the pick that is too long to fit under the lip of the bed. I will have to either find another one or most likely will grind the one I have down a little. The shovel uses one of the long straps most likely and I just need to see the "routing" of the strap.

Sorry to ask but I tried to find the info and did not.

Thanks in advance,

Shovel handle end.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pick and axe handles.[IMG][/IMG]

Bit ends strap.

[IMG][/IMG]

Note as you pull any strap tight, you force the tool tighter into the mounts. I just tucked the extra flaps wherever I could.

Note as well, you have to install the pick head first, it won't go in after the axe and pick handles are strapped in.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Thanks for the pictures and details Fishtail.

I have been wondering the same thing. I don't have my straps yet but am planning on getting some soon.

thanks for pics
    VIN : 13003 DATE : 6-67

Thanks I have been trying to figure that out myself. I just need to get a shovel now.

Thank you very much for taking the time to take the pictures and post them. That is EXACTLY what I needed. I can now finally get them mounted correctly. I did get the handles correct on the driver side. But the other three, well, far from what you have.

Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post

Note as well, you have to install the pick head first, it won't go in after the axe and pick handles are strapped in.

Scott
    What I have found is that my mattock head will not fit at all because it is just a little too long. I think I will just grind the point end down a little and then it will fit. Your tools are in great condition, much better than the ones that I had on the truck in Germany. I like them painted OD. That is the way they were when we had them "Back in the day". Also, I was reading instructions on some piece of NOS vintage M715 accessory that I was installing. It said that the shiny bolts and hardware were to be painted the same color as the truck when the vehicle was in combat. I would think that was a no-brainer. But you know that military has to spell it all out.

Thanks again, that was what I needed and I hope it benefited other members here.

I think this should be made into a sticky note. Great pics, fish!!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Yes, I agree. Thanks!

My pick bottom (the blade end) was just a smidge too wide to fit into the slot. Ground off with an angle grinder.

BTW, these were NOS tools, I just oversprayed them with OD.

Glad you enjoyed the pics. Anytime to help fellow zoners.

Scott
    Last edited by fishtail; August 13th, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13