ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Modified Tech

Modified Tech Tech forums for Modified M715 series vehicles

Old October 11th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Corporal

venominjected is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Syndicate View Post
I thought a lot of those early Ford axles were actually D50s... Am I wrong?

...Oh Good call on the T-Case @ray steadward. If we go this direction that will change too. I will likely do a 3 speed Atlas.
Actually the 'modern' 99+ superduty axles are the ones that can be decieving and actually be a Dana 50 vs. a Dana 60 without any real good outward appearaince indicators.

1987-1994... if it has kingpins... its a Dana 60...

(Dana 50 wasn't even around yet)

F350's had dana 60 kingpins.... F250's had TTB axles (which are easily identifiable)

If you want to lose some time and learn the identifiers... Here is the front axle Dana 60 bible...

Utilize this/save it/bookmark it... this will answer 99.9% of all your Dana 60 questions.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/
Old October 11th, 2017, 08:04 AM
New Recruit

SS_Syndicate is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
Actually the 'modern' 99+ superduty axles are the ones that can be decieving and actually be a Dana 50 vs. a Dana 60 without any real good outward appearaince indicators.

1987-1994... if it has kingpins... its a Dana 60...

(Dana 50 wasn't even around yet)

F350's had dana 60 kingpins.... F250's had TTB axles (which are easily identifiable)

If you want to lose some time and learn the identifiers... Here is the front axle Dana 60 bible...

Utilize this/save it/bookmark it... this will answer 99.9% of all your Dana 60 questions.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/
Awesome, Thanks... I had a 2001 F250 that had a D50... I didn't even know until I pulled the cover. :facepalm:

The only other time I was looking at these axles was for a JK swap. In this case the ball-joint was desired. The guy I was helping had cracked two king-pin knuckles in another rig and wanted the stronger ball joint knuckle (he then just carried spare ball joints and the tools) ...talk about a crappy trail fix!

I must say, one of my favorite things about new projects is the learning!
Old January 28th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Basic Trainee

Scassidy is a Soldier

Anyone swapped a D80 from a Dodge out back? I got myself an early 80ís Chevy kingpin front D60 and a 14 bolt drum rear to swap under my truck. The D60 is going to work great up front (Iím going to move the springs under the frame rails), but the 14 bolt is too narrow for out back (I donít want to move the springs under the frame rails out back because it will add way more lift than I want - I just want spring over up front and shackle flip out back). I found a D80 out of a 99 Dodge 2500. Itís got 4.10ís to match my front, disc brakes, itís 8x6.5 to match the front, 72Ē WMS to WMS (almost identical to the original 70), and all I need to do is weld new spring perches on it (but thereís tons of room). Anyone ever throw one of these under their rig?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 19th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Private

the1968jeepthing is a Soldier
Default Dodge Dana 60 axles

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here in general for what has worked for me in the past...

About 15 years ago I did a total axle/drivetrain swap on my previous M715. Here's what axles worked for me:

1990 dodge 1 ton truck, srw. I believe they were Dana 60 axles front and rear.

I can not recall the wms measurement, but both axles fit between the m715 springs with no modfications other than new perches. I did not have to remove the rear drums, and I did a shackle flip in the rear with 2 inch lift blocks, then removed a couple leafs.

The front I did a spring over. I don't recall it being too difficult. The dodge Dana 60 came with king pins which allowed me to use an aftermarket raised steering arm. I think I even used the m715 tie rod and drag link mated to a wagoneer power steering box. The steering geometry was spot on perfect. I later added a track bar to help with death wobble I was getting running 37 inch tires. I also removed several leafs from the springs.

The front drive shaft was the biggest issue. It was a very steep angle and fairly short distance. I had a custom high angle one built by Tom Woods, which worked perfect. I also had a custom one built for the rear.

I ended up ordering custom 16.5 x10 (to fit used hummer tires) wheels from marsh. The back spacing was only like 2 inches or somthing like that- they were very offset to clear the front springs at full steer with 37 inch tires. I wonder if that's what contributed to the death wobble (which was virtually eliminated with the track bar- at the expense of some articulation)

All in all the conversion worked pretty well. I did some towing and moderate off roading with it, as well as daily driver.

As an added bonus I used the dodge 360, TF727 transmission (with overdrive) and mated NP205 transfer case from the same truck, which made for a very inexpensive, somewhat easy, and effective conversion.

My biggest gripe with the whole conversion was the TF727 transmission did not have a torque converter lock up, which led to pretty high transmission temps when running on the highway, in 4th gear, with 37 inch tires.