Thread: Moding m715 front axle

Default Moding m715 front axle

I ran across this and thought it might interest someone here.
    http://www.cj7jeep.com/m715_temp3/m715_35spline.html

Very interesting. Seems like a lot of work vs swapping a later model Dana 60...
    1967 M715
    2010 SVT Raptor

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Not sure if this was installed in an M715 or the Jeep at the bottom of the page in the pic.

After all that, you're still stuck with the oddball pattern drum brakes and some slightly stronger axles. I'd go for the full swap to the CUCV axles personally. Parts are much easier and you get disc brakes to boot.

For the $1000-$1500 he says it will cost and the sheer PITA of it all you could have a D60 front swapped in and driving. Probably not 35 spline, but with a stronger housing, disc brakes, easier to find parts, better gear/locker selection, and common bolt pattern. This just seems like a big waste of time and money to me.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

That article, with pics, is from our site here...in the manuals section. I personally put it together, edited it and posted it for Mike Green...heres a link:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=35_spline

I myself have read this article before and actually got to talk to Mike Green personally. If you ever get a chance to read his write up in JP magazine, it is not just the axle conversion that makes his rig unique. He has full hydraulic suspension at all four corners and has done some pretty exstensive mods to his rig. He has the ability to pic up any corner to change a tire. Its pretty cool. First and foremost, his rig is unlike no others. I visit this website alot and enjoy the axle tech writeups. I currently have a 90 YJ with a built AMC 360 (420lbs torque) from a CJ with a Wagoneer, rebuiilt HD727 and a rebuilt CJ D300 (twin sticked) that will soon be regeared (4to1)combo. I have M715 axles: front axle has been converted over to cross over steering using stock arms and hydro assist. My plans are to take info from his article to improve my front axles even to the extent of trussing the tubes in some fashion which is another week point of the axles (D44 equivalent) for my style of driving. Why???? Just because! Myself, I enjoy the challenge of taking something stock and modifying it to what I want, and successfully seeing it through to completion. I think what he did was impressive and is a great example of backyard engineering. I will be starting the mods on my front axle soon to convert to 35 spline. I plan on retaining those big ass drum breaks also. I do not plan on doing anything to the rear until I break them. I am running 42" TSLs with MRT 15" 16 bolt beadlocks (I converted to 32 bolt) that I had the centers cut out and had new ones installed to fit the bolt pattern. You need at least 3-1/2" of backspacing to make these rims work. It was easy and only cost me less than $300 for the completed rims!!!!!!!! So I guess I have an YCJWag-715J which may be the only one in existance. Just 2 cents from a Jeep guy who enjoys this site.

Hey Guys

I am the one who did the conversion. A few things to consider. These axles already had the high steer arms,5.86 gears and lockers front and rear. If you are swapping a 60 in the front you will have to swap a 60,70 or 80 in the rear. My axles came with 15 inch rims also... I had a Chevy 60/70 sitting in the garage along with my m715 axles and chose the m715 axles. The brass king pin and heavy duty knuckles make a Chevy or Didge look silly. I have had numerous friends breack their knuckles and inner C's. Also I have zero problems with the tubes. Mine are very thick. I am not for sure how think but between being thick and me narrowing each side 3 inches I have no issues of the tubes bending.
    My next project is going to put 37 spline Dana 80 side gears in my rear detroit. I want to ditch the 23 spline. I have broken one Moser after market 23 spline rear but soo I will have a set of more aggressive tires so the 23 spline might start giving up. I think I will will broach the outer flange and run a straight 37 spline shaft. The other option would be 300m but I already got the 37 side gears from the facotry...

Mike Green

Mike,
    Thanks for the article and letting us post it on the site!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Mike,
    Thanks for the article and letting us post it on the site!!!
    Even though I don't own a complete vehicle they are very dear to my heart. I love them !
    I also appreciate you helping me put the article together !

Heres what those axles were up to last weekend. These are 2 new trails at Green Acres in Clayton oklahoma. It is a 1500 acre off road park I developed for the Hanes family.

This is part of gobblers Knob ravine

This is Blacksheeps Gaper Goo

I have a few people contact me since we posted it. I am not sure if any of them have done the conversion but a lot of good questions.

Mike Green

Nice pics!! Thats a heck of a rig you got there!