Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Axles that can be swapped in place of the stock axles

the M715 front springs sit wider than the D60 front spring perches. about a spring width per side. im going to spring over a D60 and the spring will actually sit just outside the flat thats built into the D60 pumpkin for the spring perch. I like this because it will make the spring over not so much of a lift. the springs will sit lower closer to the axle centerline and i may take out a few of the stock m715 spring leafs and have them banded to the top of the spring pack. I want the spring over but not so much lift. some machining and welding will be required for this. moving the spring perch on the tube side of the axle and making a perch and shackle brackets. getting my DRW 14 bolt ready. its at the sand blaster right now. doing the back then the front. humvee H1 tires and rims. ARB air lockers and 4.88 gear sets.

Quote Originally Posted by AHood View Post
    the M715 front springs sit wider than the D60 front spring perches. about a spring width per side. im going to spring over a D60 and the spring will actually sit just outside the flat thats built into the D60 pumpkin for the spring perch. I like this because it will make the spring over not so much of a lift. the springs will sit lower closer to the axle centerline and i may take out a few of the stock m715 spring leafs and have them banded to the top of the spring pack. I want the spring over but not so much lift. some machining and welding will be required for this. moving the spring perch on the tube side of the axle and making a perch and shackle brackets. getting my DRW 14 bolt ready. its at the sand blaster right now. doing the back then the front. humvee H1 tires and rims. ARB air lockers and 4.88 gear sets.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ For search purposes Ahood needs to clarify as a Ford kingpin (1977?-1997 F350 front Dana 60 axle is a bolt in swap.... so I'm assuming Ahood is dealing with Dodge or GM front Dana 60
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Hmmm i wasnt aware of that. Yes mine is out of a GM.

So, I recently picked up an M725.
    Engine and tranny already swapped by PO to Chevy 350 and 400 trans.
    Axles still original, need something that will let me use readily available wheel lug patterns.

From what I have read, J20 axles (D44/D60) are too narrow for our vehicles?

Thanks.

Default Welcome

Welcome to the zone.
    My M725 also has a 350 V8 and SM465 but I opted to re-gear the original axles to 4.56. I tortured myself with the decision to do that because it was relatively expensive and I knew that I'd be stuck with the M725/715 lug pattern. I think I made the right choice for me.
    If you go with the swap, I still see CUCV axles and whole CUCV trucks on craigs list from time to time here in the NW. Most are low mileage trucks.
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

So, I've read thru this...all 12 pages and am still kinda up in air about everything to do with axle swapping my 715. Obviously a Dana 60 steering axle up front, what year/vehicle model's ones are the best to hunt down and then for the rear, what models of Chevy should the GM 14 bolt be pulled from? Or is it simply a measurement game and just hoping to find out? My goals with my 715 are to offroad it with some 38's or 40's, SOA in the front, and then pull a spring or two from each pack for better flex offroad. I'll go back thru the thread again but at this point, I'm praying to find an almost, step by step, if you will.

Hello!

We are new here, and I just wanted to thank everyone for all the info I've been reading.

We (wife and I) are blogger/vloggers and just purchased a M-715. It's in decent shape, but needs some love. We are still not sure what our plans are for it, but it's nice to know there are axle options. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like most of the Super Duty Ford axles are the easiest swap.)

If we end up doing more of a restoration we will keep the factory axles, or at least try to. I'm not overly excited about the closed knuckle and drums....

If we turn in into more of a trail toy, axles, and just about all the drive-line will be swapped.

...anyway, just wanted to say thanks and got long winded.

Look for venominjecteds build thread as he is doing the Ford swap, but then you have to swap Tcase as well....With decent fabrication skills, none of them are sure hard...
    Is that real money?

The best bet is a 1987?-1996 F350 axles....with 87-1994 (kingpin) being most desireable.

1998+ 'super duty' axles can be an issue as the front pumpkin offset is too far and hits our wide leaf spring pack on the driver side.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    The best bet is a 1987?-1996 F350 axles....with 87-1994 (kingpin) being most desireable.

1998+ 'super duty' axles can be an issue as the front pumpkin offset is too far and hits our wide leaf spring pack on the driver side.
    I thought a lot of those early Ford axles were actually D50s... Am I wrong?

...Oh Good call on the T-Case @ray steadward. If we go this direction that will change too. I will likely do a 3 speed Atlas.