Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: binfordm715 : SBC output shaft variations?

Default fisherman :

Re: SBC output shaft variations?
    Post by fisherman on May 8, 2006, 11:25pm

How about a new wiring harnes while your at it, conversion to 12 volts, then if you decide to go EFI you can get the right harness. Better yet remove the harness computer and all from said donor vehicle. Quadrajets rule for carbs though. Fisherman

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on May 9, 2006, 12:06am

As for the induction, go with whatever you have or can get for free to get er going... upgrade to FI later. There will be bugs to work out once its driving and if you are on a fixed budget, I'd go with whatever is cheap now.

On the Engine issue... perhaps these two pictures will help. The first one is a 87 and up one peice rear main seal block, the second is a 86 and earlier engine. Both engines are 350s, both are 4 bolt mains, both came out of one ton trucks. HTH

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on May 9, 2006, 9:24am

Put the first pic in your mag. I want to hear how many letters you get about using a rope to lift the engine.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on May 9, 2006, 9:55am

I'll answer for Jpete...that's not rope, it's actually Greenlee's kevlar pulling "tape" for electrical use, we use it for pulling big wire thru conduit. It's rated 1250#( availible up to 2500#) single strand so doubled-up it should be overkill for a SBC...although you are right, not exactly the right use for it Pete...

as for the SBC, the biggest difference car to truck would be 2 bolt main or 4 bolt main...you can get the 2 bolt drilled and tapped to a 4 bolt and be even stronger than a normal 4 bolt if you splay (angle) the bolts towards the outsides of the block...
    most car engines are 2 bolts per bearing cap,
    most truck are 4...2 bolt is "supposedly" good up to 400HP iirc

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on May 9, 2006, 10:23am

different flywheels for one-piece rear main vs. 2 piece from what my buddy says.

i don't think you'd have an issue with a 2-piece motor (older).

Best option would be a (cheap) rear-wrecked fuellie truck where you can get the whole schmear from. and we all know how common those are!

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on May 9, 2006, 10:51am

Hey, thought you guys would like that. Suprised no one said anything about the engine just sitting balanced on the oil pan on the floor... I mean talk about a non-OSHA approved engine storage method.

Mark is half right, it is Mule Tape, not the Greenlee stuff. And, if you look closely, that is a flat weave of the stuff, that particular one has 6 strands running the length of it, and I'd used it for snatching Jeeps in a pinch before (actually wove it one night while stuck in mud doing some urban wheeling)... And, according to the Mule Tape markings, 2500 lbs is the single line test on it. I was told by the guy I got it from that it was used to pull line through underground conduits though.

http://www.neptco.com/website/neptco...ile/aramid.pdf

Hope that works, you can actually see the stuff I've got there.

/Off Topic

But yeah, the different shape of the crank requires different flywheels from the one peice to the two peice engines. Other than that, there should be no problems...

Default socal715 :

Post by socal715 on May 9, 2006, 10:56am

Quote:
    Suprised no one said anything about the engine just sitting balanced on the oil pan on the floor... I mean talk about a non-OSHA approved engine storage method.

Thats okay, if it starts to fall over the oil filter will hold it up like a kick stand Not