Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sweeney : POR-15 ?s

Default porkchop :

Re: POR-15 ?s
    Post by porkchop on Apr 26, 2006, 10:55pm

Did you check out the photo page on that site? I have done all small parts on my truck with it. The POR did not start to peel until after I had most of it together, so I was not able to do large parts with the zero rust. But the parts I did are holding up great.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on May 8, 2006, 11:44pm

Try Hammerite, paint directly over rust. Just clean and scrape as usual, degrease. Then do 2 or 3 coats. I have been using it for years here in Washington, it holds up great. The key is painting over the rust actully helps it bond, it doesn't stick to well to clean metal. Fisherman

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 9, 2006, 12:24am

I bought some (Hammerite) for the rusty bed of our Toyota pickup. I'm going to work on the M715 prep first though!

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on May 9, 2006, 6:17am

Stay away from ChassieSaver (not sure on spelling) I used some on my van and the rust is back in full!

Default 77cj7 :

Post by 77cj7 on May 9, 2006, 8:53pm

My personal favorite is rhino liner, or similar. Wont peel off ever. Have to clean completely for it to work well though.

Default elohim1 :

Post by elohim1 on May 10, 2006, 8:48pm

Quote:
    How much should I get to cover the frame? Wheres the best place to get it?

I used 3qts to paint frame, axles , inside and outside of bed.
    I applied it with a paint gun.

Buy it off ebay.

Dont forget, this is just an undercoat and should be topcoated while it is still tacky , as I believe the directions state. I topcoated mine with professional grade rustoleum flat black.

Default elliott :

Post by elliott on May 11, 2006, 10:20pm

I used POR 15 on 4wheeler chassis I had sand blasted on, cleaned only with thinner. I lived ~ 2miles from salt water where I brushed the paint on. After painting the chassis it was used up in Alaska on a beach front fishing site constantly exposed to salt water and direct light. It was rock hard even after turning a little cloudy from exposure to sunlight after five years. I highly recommend the stuff. Possibly there are newer products that will work for awhile, but I'd personaly trust POR 15 for longevity. I don't recommend diluting it with any other product or spraying any other product on it prior to cure however as I'm quite sure that will lead to a compromising condition. Top coating it with anything other than a POR product will be difficult without use of their tie coat. Follow the directions explicitly and do not waiver from them. I've been extremely impressed. I know how it works in WA and AK and will soon find out how it holds up in TX.