Thread: spring hanger

Default spring hanger

Well the front spring hanger on the right rear has snapped off with the bracket. I was climbing all over the truck trying to find the rattling noise yesterday, and then today I noticed the right side was sitting lower than the left in the parking lot. I suppose that grease zerk might have been a little clogged when I tried to grease it before. I never took it apart to clean it out of laziness. Has anyone had this happen before? I never really thought it would snap off like that. Sorry 'bout the lack of pics.--Bill

Yep, passenger side front rear. Twice on my truck.

I welded it up with everything still bolted together and it broke in a few months. The second time I took the leaf spring off, ground all the old welds off and started over. 5 years now on that weld.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Hey Bill, sorry to hear about the hanger. BTW, I've got your wheel ready, do you mind if it has a worn out NDT on it?

EVERY ONE GREASE YOUR SPRING HANGERS!!! No sweat on the tire Tracy. The actual pivot post that the front of the rear leaf spring rides on snapped off. The extra frame I got from Tacoma saved the day. Those spring hangers are riveted on and then the post passes through them--front and back side of the frame--and then the post is welded to both. It took about 12 hours to get this fixed working alone. My driver's side one was rusted solid to the post as well. This is what caused the spring to twist the post instead of rotate on it, eventually snapping the pass side. Plus the brass bushings were eaten away by the neglect of grease. I decided to replace both hangers. The drivers side requires the removal of the gas tank. I removed the good ones from the extra frame and used the springs from that frame as well and I removed rust and repainted as I went. All is well now, but I believe the front hangers on the rear springs should have a hole drilled in them to allow for water and silt removal. Both trucks had crap in there packed solid as well as quite a bit of rust. The main issue however, is the lack of grease--totally my fault. Should've known better--Lesson learned.
    Last edited by wrecker; April 15th, 2009 at 10:25 AM.

Yes, they are fun to get off.

I didn't read your original post correctly. I thought you were talking about the rear hanger on the front axle spring. That is what broke on mine.

You broke the front hanger on the rear axle spring. If you can't get grease to go in, apply a little heat.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw