Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theory Question: EMP (Amphi, Kwai...)

Quote Originally Posted by randygar View Post
    ...... It is, in fact, the only part on a stock one likely to be damaged by an EMP. So in case of EMP, better start looking for an old generator (no diodes), or make sure to keep the lights off so the batteries last as long as possible.

--Randy
    That's not entirely true. What about the new solidstate flasher unit.

If an EMP went off you may not have turn signals. That would be tragic

Time to dust off the old style units.......
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Sounds like someone has been reading One Second After....

(aside from me)

it did get me thinking though. It sounds like the old tech in a m715 would keep it alive, so long as it was not running at the time of the event. If this book as "accurate" as Mr. Gingrich says it is in the forward, its the newer, smaller solid state electronics that will get fried, not the big, chunky, primitive 1960s stuff.

Zach

The ignition lead is not shielded and would be source (antenna) of the high amps that would seek ground inside the shielded (grounded) distributer assembly.

Starter and alternator would also be effected. So keep spare parts in a capped pipe and park on an incline if you are worried.

Soviet diesel engines were damage in tests.
    http://www.futurescience.com/emp/Graham-Loborev.gif

Here is a Ford Taurus getting hit with an EMP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj54FcI7_dE

If your close enough to get affected by an EMP you've got other issues to worry about, but anything solid state on the truck will have a problem, the distributor and the plugs shouldn't.
    Zone holster maker

Get a deuce and park it facing downhill. It will still run and run over anything in it's way as you leave the scene.

Amphi, can I build an emp-generator small to fit in my truck so that I can zap those idjits that have those darn sub-woofers going at the stop-light. Now that would be fun.

If you could only focus the EMP. . . the evils one could perform. Like Kwai's idea- loud stereos, farty muffler cars, idgits pulling wheelies at 75 mph in the middle of downtown traffic, etc.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Couldn't you hotwire a Tazer with your EMD-genset?

Just have the leads quick-release.

And remove your license plate before hand.

Scott

"don't taze me, bro"

Quote Originally Posted by Maingear View Post
    The ignition lead is not shielded and would be source (antenna) of the high amps that would seek ground inside the shielded (grounded) distributer assembly.

Starter and alternator would also be effected. So keep spare parts in a capped pipe and park on an incline if you are worried.
    The ignition output is designed for high voltage, and is not connected to anything sensitive enough to be easily damaged.

The starter motor is roughly invincible when it comes to EMPs. If you manage to fry it, it'll be through parts turning into melted blobs as likely as it is the low-turn windings built up enough voltage to unclearably short the insulation or melt themselves...

--Randy

The only thing that will be affected would be the solid state stuff. anything primitive is fine. The fastest way to make your own vehicle imobilizer is to make a Tesla coil and install it in the truck. when you get within ten feet of someone that is annoying you, turn it on. It can easily put out two million volts and shoot lightning bolts ten feet. I made one that shoots out 4 foot lightning bolts and somewhere around 1 million volts ten years ago. You have to unplug everything in the house so it doesnt fry it and you need an isolator for the 110 volt supply. Tesla blew up the Colorado springs power station testing one of his coils because he forgot to install an isolator before the coil. I'm all numb on the left side now