Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wrecker : Rapco (Tim)

Default binfordm715 :

Re: Rapco (Tim)
    Post by binfordm715 on Jun 27, 2006, 2:58pm

Quote:
    I think Tim is dissapointed in the fact that they were not included in his purchase, and is looking elsewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong Tim.

No, not at all. I got what was described to me! I just didn't even *think* to ask if rivets were included or not! I checked their website for the rivets too, but wasn't able to find them. I'd even pay for them, no problem.

Quote:
    "It is not the product it is the idea"

Mr. Barr, I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say there!

Quote:
    Correct ... I ordered a complete set of data plates from Rapco and got all the rivets INCLUDED as well with my order ... Had to stamp the info myself ... DID NOT have to ask for rivets.

Teking, thanks for the info! Nice to know this for when I call Rapco!

I'd better check my box more thoroughly before I call to beatch though, huh?

The backing plate wasn't included though, was it?

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jun 27, 2006, 8:33pm

Check with your local craft store that sells scrap booking supplies. They have for about $30 a nice 1/8 or so alphabet stamp set for stamping metal. I guess scrap bookers use them to stamp brass tags. I've been eyeing a set for stamping leather...lol.

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Jun 28, 2006, 12:09pm

Quote:
    Check with your local craft store that sells scrap booking supplies. They have for about $30 a nice 1/8 or so alphabet stamp set for stamping metal. I guess scrap bookers use them to stamp brass tags. I've been eyeing a set for stamping leather...lol.

This is what I used: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Searc....10101&sku=stamp

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Jun 28, 2006, 12:12pm

Quote:

The backing plate wasn't included though, was it?

Nope, just the plates and rivets ... bought the JCWhitney stamps to punch the serial number and date.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 28, 2006, 6:30pm

Well, I called Rapco and they said the M715 data plates do NOT come with rivets. Also, they have rivets only for the M38A1s, which they say will not fit M715s, M37s and the like. (Different diameter, I suppose?)

I'm still looking then.....

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jun 28, 2006, 8:54pm

Tim,
    Use pop rivets and don't think about it. I've seen them from the army with pop rivets, sheet metal screws, aluminum rivets and even saw one truck that had the plates held on with wood screws. Don't know if these were because of overhauls or what, but back in the late 80's I use to crawl all over the 100 or so that Sam Wieners use to have.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 28, 2006, 10:55pm

Funny that coming from you, Joe! You're usually advising to go through a little extra trouble to make it original!

Pop rivets sure aren't out of the question, but I'd like to look a little harder for the brass rounds first. No biggie, really....

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jun 29, 2006, 7:46am

I've got brass split rivets in stock. I'll get a size on them today and post up tonight.

I'm only retentive on some things with MVs not everything.

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Jun 29, 2006, 7:48am

Quote:
    Well, I called Rapco and they said the M715 data plates do NOT come with rivets. ...

What they meant to say was " M715 data plates NO LONGER come with rivets" !!! Because they sure did come with mine, as you can see in the pic.
    Last edited by brute4c; December 19th, 2009 at 12:37 AM.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 29, 2006, 8:23am

Joe, the hole is about 1/8" (actually it's 0.15") and the combined thickness of the data plate and the backing plate to which it mounts is 0.06". What I'm really looking for are the rivets with the hollow stud that can be peened open on the back side. (Is "peen" even a verb? I said it for Bill.) Ace Hardware had them, only too long (1/4" or so). I need more like 1/16". But I think split rivets would work too, eh?

Teking, yeah, I argued with her about it (mildly, as that vinegar saying was on my mind!) and told her that I was pretty disappointed that my order didn't come with the rivets, and that I wasn't too keen on having to pay another $8 for shipping on a $3 item (that's the price she gave me for the rivets before she said they were M38A1-only) and that other club members who had told me about Rapco had received theirs with the rivets, etc. She talked with others in the background (and I could hear) and that's the answer she gave me. No discussion of the past availability, just that "they do not come with rivets" and they only have rivets for the M38A1.

So that's their story. Now y'all know.